The Crystal Palace was a massive glass-and-iron exhibition hall in London's Hyde Park that hosted the Great Exhibition of 1851. The building was demolished and rebuilt (1852–54) at Sydenham Hill (now in Bromley), where it remained until 1936. It then moved to Southwark, where it remains today.
The original Crystal Palace was a gift from the Crown to Queen Victoria after her marriage to the Prince of Wales. She had no children by this marriage and so the palace was empty of any occupants other than its staff. In 1848, she invited members of the public to submit designs for "a large house or building, capable of being built with present day technology", and the winner was Mr. Edward Wittall of Chelmsford. He submitted an elegant three-story structure consisting of glass walls and iron girders supporting wooden floors and ceilings. The cost was not specified but estimates ranged up to £100,000 (about $1.5 million in 2018).
The fair was held in 1850 and 1851 to celebrate Queen Victoria's 50th birthday and the success of these exhibitions led to many more international exhibitions being held in Britain. The last one was the Golden Jubilee Exhibition in 2002, which featured items dating back to 1750.
In 1853, King William IV died and was succeeded by his son, Prince Albert.
Following that, the structure was demolished and rebuilt on Sydenham Hill in Upper Norwood, overlooking London from the south. Sir Joseph Paxton constructed the Crystal Palace transept for the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, London. Getty Images/Hulton Archive
The building is estimated to have cost £150,000 ($1.5 million) at the time it was constructed. It was also said to be made out of glass and iron, but these claims are false.
In fact, the original palace was built out of wood and covered with copper plates. It burned down in 1936. The new Crystal Palace stands about forty-five feet high and has a floor space of about one and a half acres. It is made up of six halls, each of which can hold an exhibition of fine art or science, such as the Natural History Museum or the Science Museum. There are also rooms for dance performances, music events, and other activities associated with fairs and festivals. This world-famous museum now occupies its fifth location in Greater London.
You may not know that the original Crystal Palace stood near what is now called King's Cross Station. In 1854, it was taken down and moved to make way for the new station being built by the London & South Western Railway. The new palace was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton, who also worked on Buckingham Palace and Eton College.
The Crystal Palace The Crystal Palace's History The Crystal Palace was a massive glass and iron edifice created for the Great Exhibition in London's Hyde Park in 1851. The concept for an exhibition came from Prince Albert, the leader of the Society of Arts, who wanted to impress the world with Britain's economic successes. He invited countries to send exhibits, and more than 700 people, groups, and companies from all over the world responded by sending pieces of art, science, technology, and commerce.
The main building was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton, who also designed the Royal Horticultural Society Garden at Chelsea, England. The garden featured trees, plants, and buildings from around the world. It was open to the public for a small fee. In addition to being an exhibit space, the Crystal Palace was also where many international exhibitions were held before they moved to larger venues. For example, it hosted the International Exhibition of 1851 when it first opened in London.
The building was innovative for its time and remains so today. It used glass walls instead of windows, which allowed in natural light but also let in heat during the summer and cold in the winter. It had no doors or locks on any of its rooms, which made it easy to enter but also vulnerable to crime. There was even an escape tunnel under the park toward South Kensington where some workers took refuge when the factory fire broke out.
The Crystal Palace was located in downtown London near the southern end of Hyde Park. The map below, created by James Cross for visitors to the Great Exhibition in 1851, depicts Hyde Park on the left side of the map, with the Crystal Palace itself indicated in pink below the Serpentine River. (See "More about the Great Exhibition" for more information.)
Hyde Park is a 1,100-acre (442 ha) public park in London. It is an exclusive area within the city boundary but not part of the City of Westminster; this means that the park can be used for leisure activities such as walking and cycling but not for business purposes like trading or employment. Amenities available in the park include tennis courts, cricket fields, rugby pitches, and several sports facilities including a swimming pool and a gym.
The park was created in 16th century by Henry VIII to provide hunting grounds for his dogs. It was not until the 19th century that it became known as a place for open air concerts and exhibitions. The modern day view of the park was formed when the surrounding area was developed after the Second World War.
In 1731, the future king George II visited the palace built for him by William Kent on St. James's Park. It was here that he saw a performance by David Garrick, who later became Sir David Garrick.
Joseph Paxton designed an exhibition hall particularly for the Great Exhibition in 1851. The Crystal Palace is notable because it exemplifies England's technical advances throughout the Industrial Revolution, as it was constructed completely of steel and glass. The building was also a revelation because it demonstrated that ordinary people could construct structures this large and sophisticated if they were given enough time and resources.
The foundation stone of the Crystal Palace was laid by Queen Victoria on May 29th, 1851. It took more than three years to complete, during which time thousands of people worked on the project. When it was opened its interior was entirely free of charge, as an act of gratitude to the nation for allowing the work to be done in the first place. Today, most of the original buildings are used for other purposes, but some parts are preserved as museums or industrial sites. There are also plans to rebuild part of the palace.
Before the advent of the motor car, public transport in London was poor. So when the Royal Family wanted to travel around their kingdom they had no choice but to walk or take the train. In 1868, King Edward VII bought an area of land next to the palace and created a park. This was called "The Royal Park", and it still exists today. The park has sports facilities, including tennis courts, cricket fields, and a riding school, as well as many different species of tree and flower.