A clay brick that was formerly part of the White House's framework. The brick is a conventional solid-style brick with a somewhat irregular form. It is reddish-brown in tone and has faint traces of white mortar on all sides. The first house built on the site of Washington, D.C.'s Federal City was a frame structure constructed by James Hoban in 1792. That house was replaced about 1805 by Thomas Jefferson's Virginia State House design (now the National Archives). The current White House was built between 1792 and 1797 by John Hawkins Barton and Benjamin Henry Latrobe. It was initially intended to be only a three-year residence for President George Washington, but he stayed in office for eight years.
In 1844, William Howard Taft bought the building for $40,000 and had the interior remodeled. He also added a second-floor sitting room. In 1901, after serving as president of Columbia University, Theodore Roosevelt moved into the White House. He enlarged the kitchen, added a master bedroom suite, and redesigned parts of the first floor including the East Room. During World War II, American presidents lived in hotels while their offices were located elsewhere. The White House was used primarily for social events during this time. After the war ended, Harry Truman began work on a new West Wing that would provide more space for staff offices. His plans included adding a swimming pool in the south yard.
When the mortar dries, it will turn white. Take a sample of your mortar to a nearby brick wholesaler. They are capable of matching it. You may also need to purchase white sand if it is what was used to build the house.
The White House is constructed of gray-colored sandstone quarried near Aquia, Virginia. The walls are 8 feet thick and there are 17 fireplaces in the main house. There are also several other buildings on the property including a garage, greenhouse, and visitor's center.
When President Franklin D. Roosevelt decided to modernize the White House, he wanted it to be done in the style of the American Renaissance period. He asked that a new house be built within the existing grounds so that it would retain its Georgian character. The result is an elegant home with many features unique to the era of its construction.
Roosevelt wanted the new house to be built of natural materials instead of steel or concrete, as such materials were then used instead. The choice was for white sandstone from Virginia which would not only look good but would also be comfortable in warm weather conditions. The interior design reflects 18th century American styles with details such as carved woodwork and painted silk wallpaper. There are also many modern amenities included such as air-conditioning, heat, and central heating.
The house was completed in 1935 and has been remodeled several times since then.
It wasn't always this way. The north and south porticos are made of Maryland's red Seneca sandstone. The east and west wings are made of Vermont's white bluestone. The grounds include a large garden which was once filled with flowers and trees.
During President Theodore Roosevelt's service in the Spanish-American War, he became sick with typhoid fever. His staff removed all furniture from the East Wing to keep him comfortable and prevent the infection from spreading. When Roosevelt recovered, he never returned to the East Wing again. After his death in 1919, Mrs. Roosevelt ordered that no further construction take place on the property except for necessary repairs. She wanted to make sure that future presidents were not given any reason to dislike visiting Washington.
The current design of the White House was chosen by Henry Francis du Pont, undersecretary of war under William Howard Taft. The Georgian Revival style building was completed in 1910. It was designed by John Russell Pope, who also designed New York's Grand Central Terminal. Pope used local materials as much as possible because he didn't want the president to feel like a visitor in their own home.
The house was originally painted white but over time the color has worn off due to heavy traffic on the ground floor.