Kentuck Knob is a modest, one-story Usonian home built on a hexagonal module. Frank Lloyd Wright's hallmark design was the Usonian, which means "affordable for the typical American." The home, which is located just below the peak of the hill, looks to be virtually part of the mountain itself. It has steeply sloping green lawns that lead up to the entrance, which has a porch with stone columns and a glass door. Inside, the home is light and airy with white walls, wood floors, and large windows. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The house was purchased by Mrs. Hazel Cope Brannon and her husband, Charles Brannon, who was a real estate agent. They paid $10,000 for the property and took out a loan to pay another couple for building it. The family used the home as their main residence until Mr. Brannon died in 1959. After that, Mrs. Brannon moved to Arizona where she lived for four years before moving to California. She passed away in 1994 at the age of 99. Today, the house is owned by Wright's daughter, Olgivanna Davis Wright, who lives in an apartment above the garage. She bought it from her sister, Catherine Wright Mills, who inherited it after her father died in April 1975. Kentuck Knob is now open to the public as a museum.
Kent House is an example of traditional French Colonial architecture. It retains the homestead of a prosperous Creole family, typical of a Louisiana colonial era working plantation, together with its outbuildings. Kent Plantation House depicts the French, Spanish, and American civilizations that shaped Louisiana. It is located in the Old Louisiana State Penitentiary Park near downtown Baton Rouge.
The house was built between 1825 and 1845 by Pierre LeBlanc, a wealthy sugar planter from Saint-Domingue (now Haiti). Upon his death, the property was willed to one of his four sons. The last son died without children so the estate went to his sister's husband, who had no interest in farming or building houses. He sold the property just five years later. The new owner, a wealthy merchant named Charles Goodyear, hired architect Samuel Thomas to remodel the house in the fashionable French colonial style then popular among the city's elite white population.
In 1856, Goodyear sold the property to John McKean, another wealthy merchant and mayor of Baton Rouge. Like most other large landowners at the time, McKean employed black laborers to work on his plantations. He also bought land for more farms and built schools for his slaves. In 1866, after he died, the property was willed to his two daughters. One daughter wanted to move away so she sold her share of the estate to her sister.
The Calhoun Mansion, located at 704 George Street in Charleston, South Carolina, was built between 1772 and 1780 for John C. Calhoun, a prominent statesman of South Carolina. He served as vice president of the United States from 1825 to 1832 under William Henry Harrison and as secretary of state from 1833 to 1841 under John Quincy Adams. The Greek Revival-style mansion is one of the oldest in South Carolina.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. Today, it is owned by the University of South Carolina and operated as a museum dedicated to Calhoun and his family.
Calhoun's son, Robert Y. Calhoun, who inherited the house at age five, became the first graduate of Columbia College (now the University of South Carolina) and later served as a senator from South Carolina. The younger Calhoun was also known for his advocacy of civil service reform and his support of slavery. He died in 1851 at the age of 36.
The mansion has nine bedrooms and six bathrooms. It is estimated to be worth about $4 million today.