OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) – 42,000 square feet of OMAHA, Neb. New look, new year: The Joslyn Art Museum has announced a new building design. The proposed 42,000 square foot pavilion will have day-lit galleries that will more than triple the museum's exhibition area. It also aims to enhance the visitor experience by adding free parking, improved access with easier walking distances for busses and bikes, and better connections with other city assets.
The new design was created by Omaha's own architecture firm Hirsbrunner Associates who were also responsible for the design of the previous Joslyn building. It includes features such as an outdoor sculpture gallery, reading room with lounge areas, and a café.
"We are very excited about this new design which will allow us to better showcase the work of our artists while still maintaining a community atmosphere for all visitors," said Executive Director Mary Jane Jacobsen. "We believe it will be attractive to local residents as well as tourists because of its unique setting next to Douglas Lake."
The new building will be located on the south side of the current museum site at 1620 North 24th Street in downtown Omaha. It will be accessible from both North 24th Street and Lakeside Drive. No demolition or construction is expected during the first year of operation.
Opening dates for new exhibitions and programs are planned for later this decade.
170,000 square feet of space. The 170,000 square feet (16,000 m2) museum has galleries for interpretative displays of its permanent collection as well as galleries for rotating exhibitions. A huge atrium, two classrooms, and a 230-seat auditorium accommodate a wide range of activities, classes, and special events. Free admission.
The museum was founded in 1975 by a group of local businesspeople who wanted to create a place where Alaska's history could be told through objects as well as words. They hired an architect and began collecting art, science, and history on display today. By 1980, they had formed a non-profit organization and opened their first building. Since then, several more buildings have been completed or are under construction, including this one in 1999. There are plans to build another large museum next to this one which will include an IMAX theater.
In addition to being able to visit the museum anytime, patrons can enjoy many free programs during public hours. These include story time, music classes, and art workshops for all ages. Family fun nights feature activities such as ice skating, snow shoeing, and sled dog racing. In summer, live music performances are held in the atrium throughout the day. Nighttime shows with magicians, dancers, and musicians are also offered occasionally.
The museum's location in downtown Anchorage makes it easy to get to. It is only a short walk from many downtown hotels and restaurants.
224,000 square feet of space. The museum remained open throughout construction, which began in 2009. Within the property's lease lines, the extension added more than 224,000 square feet (20,800 m2) of gallery space, including an underground garage. The new wing is connected to the original building by a glass-enclosed atrium.
The new wing is designed to be a sustainable structure with energy-efficient lighting, appliances, and heating/cooling. It uses 75 percent less water than a conventional building of its size, and it produces no carbon dioxide emissions during construction or operation.
The St. Louis Art Museum is one of the largest art museums in the Midwest. It features a collection of more than 2 million objects, including works by Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Rembrandt. The museum is best known for its fine arts collection but also has significant holdings of decorative arts, photography, African art, and Oceania artifacts.
The museum opened its doors to the public in October 2009. It was created through a merger of the city's former art institutions: the Missouri Botanical Garden's high-profile collection along with the work of local artists donated to the Garden over time. The merged organization was named the St. Louis Art Museum to reflect its ownership of both collections.
The museum includes 23 display rooms with a total floor space of 79,700 square meters (nearly 8 hectares) or 857,890 square feet (almost 20 acres). It is the largest cultural museum in Mexico and one of the largest in the Americas.
The museum was founded in 1823 as an anatomical theater named "La Academia Mexicana". In 1848, it became a national monument. In 1990, it was given its current name. The building was designed by Italian architect Giuseppe Valadier and built between 1844 and 1847.
Today, the museum houses more than 7 million objects that cover all aspects of Mexican culture from the beginning of human presence in Mexico to the present day. It is divided into seven departments: Pre-Columbian Art, Archaeology, Textiles, Folk Art, Ethnography, History of Mexico, and International Relations.
The museum is open daily except Monday; admission is free. There are information centers located at each entrance of the complex where you can get a map and brochures in English and Spanish.
The National Museum of Anthropology is near the center of Mexico City, on Paseo de la Reforma at Calle 16.
To accommodate large temporary exhibitions, the Art Museum's temporary exhibition area was increased to around 10,000 square feet (930 m2). By the turn of the century, the Art Museum's collection had grown to over 60,000 artifacts, making it the biggest in the state of Ohio. The museum opened its new building in 2008.
The new building is 1.5 miles from its original location on Elm Street in Cincinnati's downtown art district. It features five floors of galleries and classrooms as well as a public space called The Atrium.
The new facility includes more than 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) of exhibition space for works of art from around the world. It is expected to attract more than one million visitors annually.
It is located at 1445 Western Avenue, on a site that previously housed a bank. The $110 million project was designed by British architect Sir Norman Foster with input from several local architects. It was built by the Hopkins Construction company.
The museum has three floors of permanent galleries: European Painting; American Painting and Sculpture; and African American Art. There are also galleries dedicated to photography, jazz, and contemporary art.
In addition to its main building, the museum has two other facilities: the Chaney Art Gallery on campus of the University of Cincinnati; and the Walter E. Dakin Building in Covington, Kentucky.