180 hectares The museum, which was built between 1406 and 1420, consists of 980 structures and spans 72 hectares (over 180 acres). It has nearly 1.8 million works of art, the most of which are from the imperial collections of the Ming and Qing dynasties. There are also extensive collections of calligraphy, paintings, and sculptures by Chinese and international artists.
It is one of the four major museums in Beijing. The others are the National Museum of China, Palace of Fine Arts and Temple of Heaven. The Palace Museum is open daily except on Chinese New Year's Day, Labor Day, and Public Holiday; it is closed on Easter and Christmas Day.
The entrance fee is 100 RMB for adults, 70 RMB for students, and free for children under 17 years old. An additional 10 RMB fee is required to enter some special exhibition rooms. English-language tours are available upon request. You can find more information about visiting hours and ticket prices on the website.
There are two main entrances to the palace museum. The original entrance is located within the walls of the inner courtyard, next to the Altar of State for receiving prayers for prosperity from citizens of both China and abroad. This is a large stone gateway with five arches that leads into a large square surrounded on all sides by halls containing galleries of exhibitions.
About 592,500 square feet The museum has a team of over 400 specialists. When the construction project is completed in 2013, the museum will be roughly 592,500 square feet in size, including 35,300 square feet of new exhibition space generated by the expansion. The original building was designed by renowned architect Paul C. McGrew who also designed the Renwick Gallery at the National Museum of American Art.
The museum is located on the campus of the Cleveland Museum of Art in Cleveland, Ohio. It opened to the public on May 25, 1924 with 16,000 visitors. Today, it receives more than 1.5 million visitors annually.
Cleveland Museum of Art: History and Architecture
The Cleveland Museum of Art was founded in 1924 by a group of local businessmen who wanted to create a venue for the city's growing collection of art. They hired New York architect Paul C. McGrew to design a museum that would display both European and American art. The museum opened its doors to the public on May 25, 1924. It took several years for the museum to reach its full potential due to the Great Depression, but by 1939 it had become one of the largest museums in the country with nearly 100,000 square feet of gallery space.
224,000 square feet of space. The museum remained open throughout construction, which began in 2009. Within the property's lease lines, the extension added more than 224,000 square feet (20,800 m2) of gallery space, including an underground garage. The new wing is connected to the main building by a glass-enclosed bridge.
The new wing features three floors of galleries that display a range of artistic movements and cultures, from pre-Columbian America to the present day. There are also special exhibitions throughout the year. A research library houses more than 15 million books and journals on art history and other subjects.
The collection consists of more than 30,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, decorative arts, photography, and works on paper. Notable artists represented include Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Andrew Wyeth, and Norman Rockwell.
The St. Louis Art Museum is one of the largest museums in Missouri and one of the largest privately funded institutions in the United States. It is located in downtown St. Louis, near the historic Forest Park.
For 492 years (1420–1912), it served as China's royal residence. It has a total size of 0.72 square kilometers (0.28 square miles), with a floor area of 15 hectares (38 acres). It consists of 980 structures in over 70 palace complexes, totaling over 8,700 rooms. It is 961 meters long and 753 meters broad from south to north. The center section, which includes the emperor's living quarters, is larger than the other two sides combined.
Built near Beijing between 1407 and 1421 for Emperor Yongle, the father of Emperor Xi, this magnificent palace complex is one of China's oldest surviving buildings. It was used by various members of the imperial family until 1912, when the last emperor moved into the palace. Today, the main parts of the complex are protected as an ancient monument by the government. Access is allowed only on pre-arranged tours that include a presentation about how modern technology has been used to preserve the site.
The complex consists of three main sections: the east, west, and south courts. Each court is surrounded by high walls with more than 1000 openings through which soldiers could fire arrows at invaders (the people inside the palace would have had protection behind thick walls). Inside the walls are different types of buildings for lodging, storing goods, and making art. There are also several large ponds with islands in them; these were used for fishing and hunting.
In addition to being a luxurious place to live in, the Chinese Palace was also a major scientific research facility.