Over 18,000 glass sheets were placed every week thanks to Paxton's simple and clever design, and the building was finished in 5 months. When the show ended six months later, the building was dismantled and erected in the south London area of Sydenham Hill.
Paxton used this project as a test bed for new techniques and materials that he would later use in his more famous work. For example, he invented a machine called a "bubble machine" that could make large quantities of uniform bubbles containers for milk and beer.
Here are some other interesting facts about the Crystal Palace:
It was the first commercial building in England to have electricity installed for lighting inside the offices.
The office furniture was made by Castor & Pollux of Woodbridge, Ontario.
The roof was made of copper covered in tar which helps prevent ice forming on it in winter time.
It was one of the first buildings in London to be built with reinforced concrete frames, but most of the walls were made from wood panels inside and out. The wood was painted white to reflect more light inside the office.
There were 1,200 miles of electric wiring inside the palace.
The building was declared a national monument in 1971.
1851 inside view of the Crystal Palace. Paxton, who was already a well-known gardener at the time, experimented extensively with glasshouse construction. Paxton invented the "ridge-and-furrow" roof design by combining prefabricated cast iron, laminated wood, and standard-sized glass sheets. The ridge and furrow system allows water to run off the roof rather than pooling on the flat part of the roof.
The grounds around the palace were laid out by John Nash, who also designed Regent's Park. He incorporated parts of the original garden at Syon House into his new creation, including its famous lake and broad tree-lined walks.
Paxton died in 1871, but the palace was completed by his son Henry after just 12 months. It remains one of London's most iconic buildings today!
Crystal Palace was never intended to be permanent. When it was built, no one thought that it would one day become a place where the public could go for entertainment. They expected it to be demolished once the exhibition was over. But when people started going insane from the noise pollution caused by traffic jams between May and October, the government decided to make the site available to the public all year round. So they bought it up and kept it as a residence for royal families and other important people. Today, it is home to the Duke of York's Royal Military School.
The Crystal Palace was a massive glass-and-iron exhibition hall in London's Hyde Park that hosted the Great Exhibition of 1851. The building was demolished and rebuilt (1852–54) at Sydenham Hill (now in Bromley), where it remained until 1936. It then became the headquarters of the Conservative Party for many years.
The original Crystal Palace was built for the Great Exhibition of 1851. Heavily damaged by fire in 1872, it was replaced by a new Crystal Palace which was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1875. This second Crystal Palace was also used for other events including the World's Fair (1890). In 1937, it was finally replaced by the current Crystal Palace which is located near South Norwood in south-west London.
You may have heard that the original palace burned down. This is not true. What actually happened is that after the Great Exhibition, the old Crystal Palace was replaced by a new one. This new Crystal Palace was much larger than its predecessor and more modern too. It still stands today in Sydenham Hill near to where it originally stood before it burnt down in 1872.
People often wonder about the name "Crystal Palace". There are actually two names used for this exhibition hall: One is "Crystal Palace", the other is "Palace of Minerals". They are both correct names.
The Crystal Palace, a steel and glass exposition hall designed expressly for the Great Exhibition in 1851 by Joseph Paxton, is notable because it demonstrates England's technical accomplishments throughout the Industrial Revolution. The building was inspired by the great Italian Renaissance fair halls that had a huge influence on English architecture during this time period.
Paxton had been appointed architect to the Royal Park in London after designing the now-defunct Kedleston Hall near Derby. It was here that he first came up with the idea of using large glass panels in a structure when he suggested they be used in place of windows. This would not only make the building more energy efficient but also allow natural light into what were at that time considered luxury apartments. The concept was an immediate success and soon became the standard for commercial buildings across Europe and America.
In addition to being an architect, Paxton was also a mechanical engineer who designed many innovative devices such as a steam engine that could turn a generator without human intervention. He received several patents for his inventions and even though most are no longer in use today, they showed that England was capable of producing high-quality equipment.
After graduating from Cambridge University with a degree in architecture, Paxton went on to create more projects including Chatsworth House in Derbyshire and Kew Gardens in London.