The theater, which opened on July 7, 1974, was erected in a record-breaking seventy-seven days in preparation for the pageant and was designed by Leandro V. Locsin. It may be demolished in the future for development considerations (see Google Maps).
The theater has three levels with a total area of about 12,000 square meters (129,700 sq ft) and can hold up to 9,000 people. The first level is used for exhibition purposes while the other two are for seating. The theater has seven entrances but only six are open to the public; the seventh one leads to the roof where the Miss Philippines pageant trophies are housed.
The building's construction involved more than 4,000 men and cost about $500,000 at that time. At the time it was completed, it was considered one of the most expensive theaters in Asia. The Marcoses owned several businesses including property developments and hotels, so they could easily afford such expenses.
They also hired some famous artists like Lope de Vega and Anton Chekhov for the opening night performance. Ms. Philippines 1973 Gina Marajo created quite a controversy when she refused to wear a bra during her onstage interview because she felt it was unnecessary clothing for a beauty queen. She later changed her mind though and agreed to wear a bra after all.
The Arts Council of Northern Ireland purchased the theatre in 1976. It took four years to rebuild, and it reopened in September 1980. It took 12 months to build in the 1890s!
The new house was designed by Belfast architect William McKeever. It was built by the McKeever family company, also responsible for designing some of Belfast's most famous buildings. The firm was established in 1764 by William McKeever, who was born in County Cavan. He came to Belfast looking for work with nothing but a pair of wooden shoes and a few pennies in his pocket. He found employment with a carpenter and soon became one of the city's leading architects.
McKeever had three sons who all became architects. The oldest son, John, went on to become one of the most influential architects of his time. He is best known for designing several public libraries across Ulster and Scotland. His most famous building is the Royal Institute of Chemistry in Belfast which he designed in 1891 just two years after opening the Grand Opera House.
The second son, George, became one of the leading architects in Dublin. He designed many churches as well as several schools and municipal buildings.
This occurred in 1593, 1603 and 1608, when the Bubonic Plague forced the closure of all theaters (The Black Death). Unfortunately, the original Globe Theatre was just 14 years old when it closed. It would have been interesting to see what role if any the plague played in its demise.
The Globe was one of the first true international theaters and although it is not known for certain if London's theater district at the time featured other theaters, it is likely they did since theatre was such a popular form of entertainment in Europe at the time. The original Globe was built as a workhouse for poor people called the White Lion Workhouse. It was located on St. Giles Church Street in Southwark, which at the time was outside of the city walls but now is within them. The workhouse functioned as a place where people who were unable to pay their taxes could be housed while they got on their feet again.
The White Lion was later converted into a theater and it is estimated that it opened no later than 1599. The building's exterior remains largely as it was when it closed in 1608. That year saw the opening of two new theatres named Blackfriars and Shoreditch, both of which still stand today. However, only Shoreditch continues to operate as a theatre.
Explore the photos below to learn more about this renowned location. The Majestic Theatre debuted as a motion picture palace on Flag Day, June 14, 1929, with the introduction of the "talkies." It was the flagship theater of the Majestic Circuit, which also included theaters in Waco, New York, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
The San Antonio Museum of Art is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and exhibiting works of art that document or reflect our shared cultural heritage. The museum's collection includes over 15,000 objects dating from pre-historic times through today. It is one of the largest collections of its kind in South Texas.
Address: 707 Main Street (at Market Square) San Antonio, TX 78201 Phone: 210-207-6200 Fax: 210-272-8984 Website: http://www.madisonville.org/
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5pm Sunday 12pm-5pm Closed Monday
Cost: Free admission
Classification: Museum Admission required. Children under 16 are free. Additional charges may apply for some exhibits. Gift shop items may cost more than $10.
Language: English only
After over fifty years of showing first-run movies, the Palace Theatre was forced to close its doors in September 1975 and was planned for destruction in 1978. However, a group of concerned citizens formed a committee called the Palace Theatre Project, which saved the theatre from demolition.
The Palace was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. A non-profit organization named the Memphis Music Foundation took ownership of the theatre in 1980. They restored the interior of the building and created a music museum that includes recordings by Elvis Presley and Bill Monroe. The Palace continues to host various concerts and events each year.
Their Festival Theatrical was initially housed under a tent until 1957, when a permanent thrust stage theatre complex was built. Since then, the concept has been used to build hundreds of more thrust stage locations. The Globe Theatre is located in London, England. All other Elizabethan theaters were designed in the same manner. Chichester Festival Theatre and Greenwich Theatre are both still in use today.
Thrust stage theaters were common throughout Europe and America in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. They could be seen as an early form of modern theater design. The main advantage of this type of theater was that they used natural light instead of candles or torches, which saved money on lighting bills.
There were some minor safety concerns with this method of lighting, but these can be resolved by using caution during performance times. For example, it's recommended that actors not stand up after entering through a door because their legs would be exposed to the public eye.
Thrust stage theaters usually had one or two levels for seats and another level for boxes. On top of the seat area, there might be a gallery where people could watch the show. There would also be a platform at the front called the "thrust" where the actors would perform for the audience. This was how they got their name!
The most famous thrust stage theater is without a doubt The Globe. It was built in 1599 and remained in use until 1613.
The Bonfils Theatre Complex debuted with four theaters, which are currently known as The Wolf, The Singleton, The Kilstrom, and The Jones. In 1991, the Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre opened, followed by the Seawell Grand Ballroom in 1998 and the Weeks Conservatory Theatre in 2002. In 2004, the complex received its current name after a local family donated $10 million to establish a endowment for the arts.
The Bonfils was built between 1927 and 1929 at a cost of $500,000 (about $7 million in today's dollars). It was designed by Denver architects Hunt & Hunt with Lewiston, Maine-based Henry Holtmann & Co. as general contractors. The 2,300-seat theater is one of only two remaining single-screen theaters in downtown Denver (the other is the Paramount).
The Jones Theater hosts film festivals and has programs for youth and adults with special needs. The other three theaters show first-run movies. All seats in the complex are reserved for guests of Bonfils Foundation members, who receive free admission. General public tickets are available for most shows at a cost of $20-$60 depending on the movie.
In addition to movies, the Bonfils presents musical performances, comedy acts, and other events. It is home to the Denver Opera, Colorado Symphony, and National Cowboy Poetry Festival among others.