After architectural and technical inspections determined that it was hazardous for habitation, President Harry S. Truman, his family, and the whole house staff were transferred across the street in 1948. The White House was destroyed, extended, and reconstructed during a three-year period.
The total cost of the renovation was $1.5 million ($11.9 million in 2007 dollars). In addition to repairing and replacing much of its interior finish work, the house was expanded by more than 100,000 square feet (9,300 m²), including: a new state dining room; a large kitchen; a second-floor master bedroom suite; a third-floor solarium/study; and a fourth-floor maid's room. Other alterations included the replacement of all windows and doors, as well as the installation of central heating and air-conditioning.
Construction began on March 25, 1947 and was completed on May 19, 1950. The Trumans moved into their new home on April 15, 1948.
During World War II, the United States government had built housing for people who worked at defense sites. After the war ended, this federal housing program became known as Section 8 housing. Today, these buildings are referred to as "public housing".
There is one other example of a private residence being converted into the official residence of a president.
The White House was on the verge of collapsing in 1948 due to age, poor maintenance, and heavy construction projects. Many thought it would be easier to demolish the structure entirely, but Bess Truman preferred gutting and restoring it instead. The result is a White House that looks much like it did when Theodore Roosevelt lived there over a century ago.
During World War II, federal government offices shut down for two years while Washington was under wartime conditions. When peace returned, the office of the President made many changes to their operation in order to cut costs. One of these changes meant moving the White House staff from its original location in Washington, D.C., to a new suburban town called Subdivision. The Trumans chose this site because of its proximity to family friends who could help them out during their move.
The President's wife, Bess, wanted a house with rooms where her children could grow up and have their own space. So she decided to convert some of the existing structures on the new property into a home. She hired a local architect, Edward Bennett, to draw up plans for a family residence. Then she had some of her favorite things from the White House moved into the new house: the Wilson red chair, the Roosevelt tennis court light, and other historic items. Finally, the walls between the various rooms were removed and the house was filled with life again!
Under Truman, the White House received a massive restoration and extension that altered the Executive Mansion more than the 1814 fire. The White House we know today owes a lot to Truman's remodeling. The construction, which took place between 1948 and 1952, was an engineering marvel. It included new heating and air-conditioning systems, upgraded electrical wiring, and water piping for central washing machines and dishwashers.
Before Truman's renovation, the first family lived in a series of small rooms on the second floor of the East Wing. They were given larger quarters on the third floor of this wing (which is now used as a private family library). The Trumans also had a large apartment on the first floor of the West Wing that was used as their personal residence. However, since there was no real kitchen in the West Wing apartment, meals were brought in from local restaurants or bought off the grocery store shelf. This arrangement could not continue much longer because the first family was beginning to feel like prisoners in their own home.
So in order to free up some space in the cramped White House, the first family moved out and into a new house owned by Harry Truman. He had already renovated part of this house in 1946 so it was in good shape when they moved in.
Harry S. Truman was the President of the United States at the time. President Harry S. Truman began a renovation of the building, tearing down everything except the outer walls. The renovation was managed by architect Lorenzo Winslow, and the Trumans returned to the White House in 1952.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt decided not to rebuild the White House because he believed that a new house would be more economical. At the time, people didn't think much of the White House as a home; it was used only for official government business. The president lived in Washington, D.C., in a private home called the White House.
The current White House was built between 1792 and 1794 by James Hoban on a site adjacent to the old one. It is a three-story, rectangular structure with white plaster walls and a green slate roof. The cost of construction was $20,000 ($320,000). The building is set back from Pennsylvania Avenue with an entrance fronting 1792. There is a second entrance at the rear, which faces 1794. The size of the house is 45 feet wide by 55 feet long. There are seven rooms on the first floor and four bedrooms on the second floor. A kitchen and pantry were also included in the design.