There are 132 rooms. The six-story property at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, 412 doorways, and 28 fireplaces. The house was built between 1792 and 1800 by Jacob Barker.
The White House was originally called "Barker's Folly" because it was not expected to be profitable. It was built as a gift for Thomas Jefferson who had served as America's first president under the Declaration of Independence and now was serving as its second president.
The house has been renovated several times but most notably in 1814 when James Monroe became the third president of the United States. At that time, Charles Follen de Kéralio was hired to redesign the interior of the White House. He added the present-day Oval Office, which used to be called the President's Room back then because it was where presidents met with members of their staffs and families to discuss business or plan events.
In 1958, a new West Wing was built across the street from the old one. This new wing contains the majority of our famous rooms including the Blue Room, Red Room, and Yellow Room. Also inside this new building is a large conference room called the Roosevelt Room after our fourth president who lived in the house until his death in 1945.
There are 340 rooms. This palace includes 340 rooms on four stories, 2.5 kilometers of corridors, and 190 acres of garden space. It was built from 1765 to 1791 by American architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe.
The President's House is one of Washington, D.C.'s most famous landmarks and has been called America's first presidential residence because of its extensive use by every president since George Washington. However, Thomas Jefferson used it as his primary residence for nine years while he built his home at Poplar Forest near Charlottesville, Virginia.
The building is a National Historic Landmark and is open daily for tours that last about an hour. Visitors can see the private apartments of former presidents from George Washington through George W. Bush, as well as the Oval Office, Lincoln Sitting Room, and Bill Clinton's bedroom.
Admission is free but tickets must be reserved in advance by calling 202-479-4600 or visiting the White House website. There are no discounts for groups or students, and visits are limited to eight people per room group. Children under 18 are not allowed inside the house except with an adult guardian.
White House staff can help with itineraries and ticket reservations but cannot make tour appointments for you.
This custom may be traced back to 1837. It comprises 775 rooms in total, including 19 staterooms, 52 royal and guest beds, 188 servant bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 baths. During certain times of the year, visitors can get access to a number of the palace's staterooms. These include: the King's Bedroom, the Queen's Bedroom, the Prince's Room, and the Princess' Room.
The state apartments comprise some 70% of the entire building and take up about one-third of the site. The remaining space is taken up by private living quarters for the royal family and other members of the court.
The main entrance hall leads into the Grand Staircase, which has several doors leading to other parts of the palace. At the top of the staircase is the Saloon, an enormous room that used to be the throne room. From here you can view the State Dining Room, the largest banquet hall in Europe. It can fit an audience of 600 people.
Across the corridor is the Music Room, where guests can enjoy a meal or drink while listening to live music performances daily at 1:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
The White House is still a site where history is being made. The home has 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, and 6 storeys. In addition, there are 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, 8 stairs, and 3 elevators.
There are actually only five full-size elevators in the White House. The first elevator was installed in 1901 by William E. Wood (the same man who installed the escalator in the West Wing). It had wheels instead of belts and could carry up to 20 people at a time. The second elevator was also installed by Wood but it used belts instead of wheels and could lift 50 pounds. This elevator served from 1961 to 1980. The third elevator was built by Otis and developed by John C. Roach. It can lift 500 pounds and have a maximum capacity of 10 people at a time. This elevator serves as the main house elevator and is located in the East Tower basement.
The fourth elevator was built by Mitsubishi and introduced in 1994. It can lift 5,000 pounds and has a maximum capacity of 40 people at a time. This elevator is used primarily to transport large items such as furniture between the second and third floors of the residence wing. It also supplies instant service for visitors who may be struggling with oversized bags or other burdens.
The final elevator was built by ThyssenKrupp and introduced in 2003.