31 Facts About the Moody Mansion's Design The architect William H. Tyndall created this Romanesque 31-room home. He also designed the San Francisco Mint and the National Biscuit Company building in Philadelphia.
The house has been called "the most beautiful mansion on Maryland's Eastern Shore" and is now a museum devoted to Harry F. Byrd, who served as attorney general of Virginia from 1921 to 1926 and as United States senator from 1930 to 1960.
Byrd bought the estate in 1918 after his first wife died. He married her while still married to his second wife. His son by his first marriage died before him in 1990. A daughter by his second marriage died in 1975.
Byrd is known for promoting segregation and other discriminatory practices. But he also sponsored legislation to improve living conditions for black Americans and was one of the few Southern senators to vote against joining the Union in 1787.
Museum staff members say the house features several unique amenities that were planned with women in mind because they would have been difficult for men to construct.
Jr. William Lewis Moody The 31-room Romanesque palace was finished in 1895. The house is named after William Lewis Moody, Jr., an American banker and cotton magnate who purchased it from Galveston socialite Narcissa Willis. On May 13, 1994, the home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is operated by a non-profit organization as a museum.
Moody Mansion is open daily except Christmas; admission is $12 for adults, $6 for children 6-17, free for children 5 and under. Guided tours are available at 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.; last tour starts at 4:00 p.m.. Private tours can be arranged by contacting the Moody Foundation at (713) 862-4020.
Moody Mansion is located at 1001 Moody Drive, Galveston, Texas 77550.
29.29917° North, 94.79611° West/29.29917; -94.79611 The Moody Mansion, also known as the Willis-Moody Mansion, is a historic house property situated at 2618 Broadway Street in Galveston, Texas. The 31-room Romanesque palace was finished in 1895.
Since 1994, the residence has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior, and it has been a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark since 1967. Today, our visitors see 20 rooms depicting the domestic life of a strong Texas family. The Moodys built one of America's great financial empires.
With 65 rooms, 23 baths, 18 bedrooms, five of which are guest rooms, and 23 fireplaces, the Manor House is regarded as one of the greatest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in America. It was built between 1905 and 1907 for the family of Alvan Fisher, who made his money in oil wells. The house was designed by Lewis W. Palmer, who also designed Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History and Adler & Reese's San Francisco Music Hall.
Fisher wanted a house that was comfortable yet formal, and used elements of both English country houses and American city apartments. The resulting structure is considered one of the premier private homes of the early 20th century.
Stanford Leland Stanford University founder, philanthropist, and mining magnate had the house built to accommodate his large family. He died before he could move in because the house wasn't complete yet; his wife, Jane Packard Stanford, then finished building it up. They are buried in an oak grove next to the house.
The main floor has a great room with a fireplace, a dining room, and several other social areas such as game rooms and libraries. There's also a solarium, a music room, and three kitchens on the first floor. The second floor has six bedrooms and seven baths.
Moody Mansion was completed in 1893.
The Willis-Moody Mansion, built between 1893 and 1895 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, represents Galveston's former status in Texas' economic, political, and social realms.
This ignites all of one's senses, conjures the appeal of romance, and... will captivate you with its breathtaking perspective. 3 spacious bedrooms, one en suite, a contemporary equipped kitchen, an open plan dining and living area, and a huge secure townhouse that gives elegance and space This house has 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths (3 ensuite). It also has 2,738 square feet of living area.
The bank repossessed this mansion because the former owners could not pay their mortgage. However, since this is such a beautiful home, the new owner was able to sell it for more than $1 million.
Features of this home include 24-karat gold leafing on walls, ceiling, and doors; antique Italian marble flooring; custom-made furnishings; a theater room with plush seating and popcorn machine; a game room with billiards table and bar; a sauna; an outdoor plunge pool; a tennis court; and a yard with vine-covered arbors and water features. This house never saw a sliver of ice during winter months due to its location in South Florida.
However, it does have two problems: no garage and only one bathroom. But since there's a lot of space for parking and the master bedroom has its own balcony, we can assume that this house has at least three bathrooms overall.
In conclusion, a bank repo house can be a beautiful property if it's located in the right place.
127 rooms and 127 bedrooms. The 127 rooms and suites are beautifully designed in subdued greys and greens, with plaid soft furnishings and light-wood furniture—nothing too twee or imaginative. In each room, a big, antique map of the area over the bed illustrates the estate's history. There's also a small library/media room with books and DVDs to read or watch.
The mansion is filled with fine art and antiques. There are several public rooms for entertaining, including a large conservatory (or "lanai") with a view of the garden. The kitchen is famous for its original Delft tiles and has been called one of the best restaurants in Britain. There's a separate staff dining room where dishes are served family style from central trolleys.
Wotton House was built between 1720 and 1730 by Robert Wootton, a wealthy London merchant. The architect was George Jellicoe, who had previously worked on Blenheim Palace. Wotton was sold shortly after it was completed to an associate of Robert Wootton's named Smith, who renamed it Woodstock House. It then passed down through the family until 1801, when it was bought by Sir Henry Lee Brougham, an English lawyer who was serving as Attorney General of Bengal. He renovated it and renamed it Bougham Villa.
Mansion House is a London Underground station in the City of London named after the house of the Lord Mayor of London, Mansion House. It was built as the eastern terminal of the Metropolitan District Railway in 1871. When the other end of the railway line was extended to Tower Hill in 1892, Mansion House became a major interchange station with several lines crossing beneath its platforms.
The word "mansion" here does not mean a large mansion but rather a nobleman's or lord's manor. The term is derived from the Old English mōn-sægen, meaning "the master's farm."
There were no mansions on the estate when it was owned by the Crown, and the name did not become popular until many years after it had been given up by the Royal Family. By then, it was too late to change it.
Mansion House is now one of the most important stations on the network for commuters using the overground and tube networks to get into the city. It is also used by visitors who want to see some of the sights that are close by.
The main entrance to Mansion House is on Queen Victoria Street, next to the Bank of England. A secondary entrance is located at St Mary Axe, which is the street address of the headquarters of the British Chamber of Commerce.