14 guestrooms Within the Castle Despite Ludwig's great ambitions, just 14 rooms are now built and open to the public. Among the highlights of the guided tour of Neuschwanstein Castle's interior are the cave-like grotto, the king's bedroom, and the Singer's Hall.
The original plan was to build a larger palace but Ludwig's finances prevented him from doing so. Neuschwanstein was meant to be a romantic retreat where Ludwig could escape from world politics and court life. But it was also meant to be a place where he could entertain important people - including his wife Sophie!
Ludwig had planned to build his own studio here so that he could work on his paintings in peace, but it wasn't possible due to lack of resources. So, he hired an artist's residence next to the construction site for 100 florins ($6,250) per year. The house was completed in 1869 and is today known as "the little king's house".
There are also plans to build a larger version of Neuschwanstein but this time with modern amenities such as kitchens and bathrooms. However, unlike its smaller counterpart, this new palace will require fresh funds from Ludwig's heirs.
There are 140 rooms. The castle includes a total of 140 rooms, with highlights being the library, which has amazing murals, the King's bed chamber, a family tree room, and the Queen's suite, known as the Blue Salon. There is also a museum dedicated to the House of Brandenburg that covers topics from weapons to art.
The castle is huge. It was built between 1442 and 1449 by the master builder Michael Koekelberg for the Brandenburg royal family. The original plan was to build only one wall within the city limits but due to financial problems construction continued for another 10 years after Michael Koekelberg's death. Today, the castle is part of the German Museum Network and can be visited through tours that show different parts of the building.
Inside the castle, you will find several public areas where you can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while listening to tour guidesshare information about the history of the castle. There are also several smaller museums inside the castle that cover various topics from art to science.
During World War II, the castle was used as a hospital and later on became a youth camp before being abandoned in the late 1960s. In 1974, it was decided to restore the castle back to its original condition with help from Germany and other countries.
The castle is 30,000 square feet in size and includes 300 rooms, with 61 of them being bedrooms on the higher floors. As of 2009, around 50 of those rooms were unusable. The great hall has a ceiling that reaches up to 100 feet high.
Downton Abbey's castle was built in 1847 by the third Earl of Carnarvon for his bride Mabelle Louise Leighton. The couple had two children they lost when the boat they were on collided with an iceberg in the Antarctic during their second wedding anniversary cruise. The children were placed in an orphanage until their deaths. After this tragedy, the earl decided to build a house on every corner of the property so he could always remember his family by looking at their houses.
During World War I, the castle was used as a hospital for soldiers. After the war, it was returned to its previous state. In 2008, it was announced that Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes would be writing a new series of films about the lives of the families who lived in the castle. He said that he wanted to show "what life was like in these large homes where nobody ever killed themselves or went insane."
Fellowes also said that he wanted to focus on the social history of England through the eyes of the rich and famous people who lived there.