1. The Ursuline Convent (Old Ursuline Convent). The Old Ursuline Convent, the oldest structure in the Mississippi River Valley, was erected on Chartres Street in 1752 and still stands today. This also makes it the earliest surviving example of the French colonial era in the United States.
2. The Cabildo (original city hall). The original city hall, now known as the Cabildo, was built by Spanish colonists in 1787. It served as their meeting place and as a prison before it became available for use as a church in 1805. Today, the building is used as a museum.
3. The Christ Church Cathedral (present-day cathedral). The present-day Christ Church Cathedral was built between 1847 and 1849 in Greek Revival style. It replaces an earlier version that had been destroyed by fire in 1845. The new cathedral's design was chosen by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Chouteau, who was also responsible for the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. He wanted it to be the finest Catholic church in the country.
4. St. Louis Cathedral (present-day cathedral). St. Louis Cathedral was built between 1866 and 1873 in Gothic style. It replaced an earlier version that had been burned down in 1865. The new cathedral was designed by Archbishop Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne de Saint-Lambert.
Ursuline Convent (Ursuline Convent) The majestic Ursuline Convent at 1100 Chartres is the oldest structure in Louisiana and the Mississippi Valley. It was designed in 1745 by a French-trained military engineer and finished in 1753. Two years later, it was purchased by the Ursulines, a Catholic order of nuns. The convent was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. It is now a museum owned and operated by the City of New Orleans.
You can learn more about the Ursuline Convent at 1100 Chartres St. in New Orleans at this link: http://www.nola.com/things-to-do/history/historic-places/ursuline-convent.html.
The address for information regarding admission prices and hours of operation can be found on its website.
I recommend going during non-peak times if you can because it does get crowded.
It's worth the visit for those who love history!
The oldest farm in America is located in Massachusetts and has been in the family for 370 years.
It was built in 1713 and served as the seat of the Massachusetts General Court until 1798, making it one of the country's oldest governmental buildings. It is the oldest surviving public structure in Boston and presently functions as a history museum, which was administered by the Bostonian Society until 2019. The society's purpose now is to advance "the history of science, technology, and nature protection through exhibits, programs, publications, and other activities." The building is open daily from 9:30 AM to 5 PM during museum hours.
THE WELLINGTON TERRACE These are the oldest buildings on Lord Street, built in 1817 and still inhabited today. They form part of a group of three townhouses built for Sir George Wakefield, president of the Cape Colony. The other two houses are on the corner of Lord and Castle Streets.
There was a time when this was not the case. In 1770 a fire destroyed much of what we now know as Southport. When it was put out there were only three streets left: London, Derby and Wellingborough. These three streets formed the original settlement of Southport. The area was completely flat with just one small hill called The Nook near the junction of Derby and Wellingborough Streets. This is where you'll find The Nook Bowls Club today.
The Wellingborough Road was the first street built after the fire, being laid out in curves to match the location of the former street names. It was here that the first house was built by Thomas Hutton - a carpenter - who was given permission to build up to the level of the road. Other residents soon followed, and within a few years there were enough people living here to require a school be set up.
The Oldest Structures in America
Houses in Post-Medieval England The Henry Whitfield House in Guilford is Connecticut's oldest surviving house, albeit it is not typical of the other buildings that remained from the seventeenth century: it is constructed of stone and has been considerably remodeled throughout the years. The first documentary evidence of its existence dates to 1714, but it may have been built much earlier.
It was built as a tavern for travelers on the old post road between Boston and New York City. Over time, it was converted into a home; then, in 1866, it was purchased by Henry Whitfield, who had come to America from England at the age of 21. He made his living as a farmer but also invested in real estate. In 1870, he sold nearly all of his land and moved into the townhouse next door with his wife Mary Ann, a former schoolteacher. They had three children together before Mary Ann died in 1872. Henry remarried two years later to a woman named Harriet Fay Robinson, but he did not live with her in the new house she bought him. Instead, he stayed in the Whitfield house with his children from both marriages. In 1880, when their father died at the age of 58, the four children shared the responsibility of running the family business. In 1890, after selling most of their shares, the children moved out of the house they shared with their father and started their own families.