65-foot The building, which is 4,250 feet (1,300 meters) long and 65 feet (20 meters) tall, was built under contract for the NC DOT and comprises of 37 concrete girder main spans and 28 hollow-core concrete slab approach spans. The bridge is tied together with steel wire rather than mortar.
It opened to traffic in 1952 and connects North Carolina's Currituck County with South Carolina's York County. The bridge crosses over the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway and connects U.S. Route 58 with Main Street (which becomes South Caddy Road). It is part of the only road connection between Beaufort and Port Royal Island.
The bridge was designed by Thomas Lee Jaques and Associates and constructed by the W.J. Byron Company. Its total cost was $3.7 million ($ when it was built).
It has been named one of the 11 most endangered bridges in America. The National Park Service lists the bridge as "high priority" for preservation because it provides a vital connection between the mainland and the island park and serves as a public gateway.
In 2005, after several years of negotiations, the two countries agreed to have the United States take control of the bridge because they couldn't come to an agreement on who should pay for its maintenance.
89 metres The central span of the construction is 177 meters (581 ft) in length and is supported by two piers measuring 73 meters (240 ft) and 75 meters (246 ft) from the ground, with a length of around 350 meters (1,150 ft) and a height of 89 meters (292 ft) above ground. The total length of the structure is about 581 feet (177 m), with an average depth of removal of 10 feet (30 m).
The structure consists of three parts: a central part that carries both vehicles and has two wide sidewalks on which people can walk; two wings that connect the center section to the end walls of the box culvert.
It was built by the Shanghai Municipal Government as part of the third phase of the Shanghai-Kunming High-Speed Railway, which started service in December 2009. The new line runs along the former right-of-way of the old Shanghai-Hangzhou Railway, which used to run through this bridge but now uses the more modern Pudong Bridge instead.
If you include the approach roads the total length increases to 1,200 feet (365 m).
The main feature of the design is its single central pier, which allows for easy dismantling of the bridge should the need arise. The total weight of the bridge is 2 million kg (4 million lb), made up of 50,000 kg (110,000 lb) each of rail track and road surface.
 Conisbrough Viaduct The viaduct was built with 12 million Conisbrough blue bricks and has 21 arches. The central metal span spans the Don at a height of 113 feet and is 150 feet (46 m) long (34 m). It carries four lanes of traffic.
The Conisbrough Viaduct was built in 1872 by Thomas Pritchard to carry the East Cleveland Railway over the River Don near its junction with the Metropolitan-Cleveland railway line. The company had been formed by members of the Willis family who owned the Blackpool Tower. The viaduct was designed by John Urpeth Rastrick who also did work on the Blackpool Tower. It replaced an earlier bridge that had been damaged by flooding but this had only two lanes rather than four so it was still capable of carrying considerable traffic.
The viaduct became operational in 1873 and within a few years it was carrying up to 100 trains a day. This increased to 200 trains per day by 1880. In 1901, after many improvements including widening the central section by adding brick parapets and protective railings, the bridge was refurbished at a cost of £40,000 (now £1.5 million). These improvements were done by Henry Boot Ltd from Leeds who specialised in building bridges across canals and rivers.