Bacon insisted on utilizing a variety of stones in the memorial's construction. The granite on the terrace level was sourced in Massachusetts, the marble for the higher stairs and outer facade was sourced in Colorado, and the pink marble floor in the chamber was sourced in Tennessee. Much of this stone was carried up Mount Auburn (in Massachusetts) before being transported to Washington.
Lincoln's body was taken down from the Memorial Hall altar and placed in a tomb that had been cut into the rock beneath one of the pillars supporting the upper balcony. This pillar was then removed, leaving a hole which serves as a window to the tomb.
In 1913, a group of Chicago women donated $10,000 to build an arching canopy above the tomb. The money was used to carve an image of Lady Justice into the center block of Vermont black marble. The sculpture is flanked by other figures representing Mercy and Prudence. Above them are allegories of Law and Order with their hands resting on their swords. Behind them is a scene showing Truth with her head raised toward Heaven while below are four more figures: Fortitude, Temperance, Charity, and Faith.
The entire monument is surrounded by a reflecting pool that is lined with Oregon white oak trees planted when the memorial was dedicated in 1922. They measure about 80 feet long and 30 feet wide and stand 15 feet high at the base of an 8-foot wall made of gray Vermont marble.
The Lincoln Memorial was dedicated in 1922 and is composed of marble. Some Lincoln Memorial columns have flattened chalky regions where inclusions aged differently from the surrounding calcite. Under blackened alteration crusts, the marble guttae on the roof overhang is disintegrating and coming away. This is evidence that water has penetrated the monument.
In addition, the original plaster ceiling has peeled back in areas, revealing the wooden beams underneath. The same can be said for parts of the walls where wood is showing through.
There are also signs that the memorial had been spray-painted several times during its lifetime. The colors used were usually dark colors like blue or black to cover up damage or try to restore the artwork.
In conclusion, the Lincoln Memorial has been affected by weathering due to water penetration and air pollution. The original paint has also been removed at some point in time. However, most of the sculpture and architecture remains intact.
Builders of the Lincoln Memorial The Lincoln Memorial, built by New York architect Henry Bacon, sits at the west end of the National Mall as a neoclassical homage to the 16th President of the United States. From 1914 to 1922, the memorial was built during an eight-year period. It was designed by Boston architect Charles Moore who also designed the Massachusetts State House and many other notable buildings.
The Lincoln Memorial was originally called the "National Monument to Lincoln." Its construction was authorized by Congress on June 4, 1872, less than two years after Lincoln's death. The legislation authorizing its construction is known today as the Burke Memorial Law after Senator Francis P. Blair Jr., who led the committee that passed it. The law specified that the monument be made of marble and include four statues, one for each of the major rivers that flow into Washington, D.C.: the Potomac, the James, the Ohio, and the Missouri. It also stated that the cost of the memorial should not exceed $100,000 ($1.5 million in today's dollars).
In October 1872, three months after the law was passed, President Grant signed a bill appropriating $150,000 (about $2.5 million in today's money) for the project. At that time, work on the statue had not yet started because no one knew how to carve a marble statue worth more than $10,000 back then.