The Grand Lake Our lovely lake was formed in 1940 when the famous Pensacola Dam on the Grand (formerly known as the Neosho) River was completed. The huge reservoir, the world's longest multiple-arch dam, contains 46,500 surface acres at an average surface height of 742 feet above sea level. It is said to be visible for hundreds of miles in every direction.
Yes, the people who live around Grand Lake Oklahoma are responsible for its existence. The first settlers came to the area in 1879 and began farming the rich alluvial soil. In 1889, the Chicago, Kansas City and Saint Louis Railway built a line through the area, which brought more farmers to the region. By the early 1900s, there were enough people living in the area to form a community called Grand Lake.
In 1940, the federal government decided it needed more water storage capacity for the Missouri River Basin. They commissioned the construction of the Pensacola Dam by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The new dam created Grand Lake and has been regarded as one of the most important engineering projects in our country since its completion.
Today, Grand Lake is a popular recreation area for fishing, boating, camping, and other activities. The town of Konawa lies at the southern end of the lake along US-54/69; Grand Lake St. Marys to the north along US-77.
The lake is built by an arched dam that is 90 feet high and 500 feet long (Robinson, 1994) and holds 38,500 acres of water. Water flowed over the dam for the last time in 1941. Since then, it has been diverting into Seneca Lake through a tunnel under the highway.
Bluewater Lake was created as a flood control project to prevent erosion along the Route 611 corridor in Upstate New York. The lake also provides recreational opportunities for fishing, boating, and swimming.
It is estimated that there were once hundreds of large megafauna species, including giant sloths, mastodons, and glyptodons, which are predecessors of modern day elephants. The arrival of humans into North America caused the extinction of most of these animals due to hunting pressure. However, some species did manage to survive in small numbers after humans arrived. It is believed that the population of at least one species of megafauna, the bison, declined so much that it became endangered. This is why people decided to protect them by creating wildlife refuges where they could roam free of human interference.
History. The lake was formed by the first Exchequer Dam, a concrete gravity arch dam built between 1924 and 1926. The initial capacity of the Exchequer Reservoir was 281,000 acreft (347,000,000 m3). It is now owned by the City of Knoxville and operated by the Knoxville Utilities Department.
Location. Located in East Knox County, Tennessee, USA, it is about 15 miles (24 km) east of downtown Knoxville. Access to the public is only by permit or membership with the National Guard.
Name. The lake is named after William P. McClure, an early settler of Knox County. He sold lots on both sides of Kingston Pike (now Old Kingsport Highway) near what is now the eastern shore of Lake McClure.
The western half of one of these lots became known as "Lake McClure", and the eastern half became known as "Lake McDavid". In 1927, the two lakes were merged into one large body of water called "McClure-David Lake". In 1981, the name was changed to Lake McClure to avoid confusion with another lake named David.
Size. Covering approximately 35 acres (14 ha), it is the smallest of the three lakes that make up the McClure-David Lakes District.
The lake was formed after the dam's completion in 1955 and was later dubbed Lewisville Lake. The dam is 32,888 feet long (more than six miles) and made of compacted soil. It has 26 spillways that are two stories high when viewed from the end of the dam.
The lake covers 643 acres (260 hectares) and has a maximum depth of 420 feet (128 meters). It provides water for industry and recreation in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.
In addition to being a popular place for fishing, boating, and other activities, the lake serves as a source of flood control for areas near its shore. The dam itself can be seen from space on Image GIS data hosted by NASA.
It is estimated that about 1 million people visit Lake Lewisville each year. This makes it one of the most visited lakes in North Texas.
This article is accurate up to mid-2016.
The lake has a total area of 5,401 acres (8.439 square miles; 21.86 km2), a maximum length of 7.5 miles (12.1 km), a mean depth of 61 feet (19 m), and a maximum depth of 135 feet (41 m). Geologists think it is the result of a receding glacier filling in a kettle.
It is located in Walworth County, south of Lake Forest, Illinois, and east of Lakewood Park, Colorado. The city of Lake Geneva is situated on its shores.
Lake Geneva was formed when a glacial lake called Lake Maurepas drained into the Rhine River. When the ice melted, what was left was Lake Maurepas, which ended up being owned by no one. So in 1856, William Lindenmayer, an English immigrant who had made his money in shipping, bought the lake from its current owner, the government of France. He built two dams to create a commercial fishing resort that would attract people from all over Europe. This is how the cities of Lake Geneva today came about: Neuvy-Saint-Sépulchre, which is where Lindenmayer's workers lived; Lausanne, which is where he imported most of the materials for his project; and Vevey, which is where he had offices and stored equipment. Lindenmayer died before his project was completed, but his sons finished it out.