While Roanoke, North Carolina is a genuine place, the ancient farmhouse is not. In early August 2016, TMZ announced that the mansion was surreptitiously erected in a California forest just for the program. The American Horror Story crew, on the other hand, did more than merely construct the facade of the ancient house. They also built an accurate replica of the basement floor where most scenes are shot.
The original house was built in 1657 by John Blackwood as a wedding present for his son Abraham. When Abraham died without children, he left the estate to his sister Elizabeth Martin. She in turn willed it to her husband Thomas Freeman after she became a widow at the age of 36. The Freemans had three children and lived in the house until 1764 when it was sold to William Byrd II. He had it rebuilt in the Georgian style with some modifications. The property changed owners many times after that and by 1838 was owned by Joseph Rucker Lamar. He was a wealthy planter who served as the fourth president of the University of Texas from 1876 to 1890. He is best known for creating the first public library system in America through a donation of 200 books to the town of Austin.
In 1947, Joseph and Mary Lamar's son named him after his father and mother then donated the house and nearly 300 acres of land to the university. It has been the campus museum of the university ever since. The house is open for tours but is often used for special events such as film shoots.
YouTube has more videos. The house used is a genuine one on Roxbury Street in Simi Valley, just outside of Los Angeles. And, while it isn't constructed on a graveyard, you might not want to live there. Some believe the film, and maybe the entire trilogy, is cursed.
What is the true tale of the notorious Amityville Horror House? George and Kathy haven't seen one other in over 45 years... Since the killings, the house has been on the market four times. According to property records, it was last listed in June 2016 and sold in March 2017 for $605,000.
In November 1979, the Lutzes bought the house as an investment property. They spent nearly $150,000 renovating it and moved into it that December. A few months later, they began to notice things going wrong. There were problems with the plumbing and the wiring. The heat didn't work and there were mice everywhere. Mrs. Lopez said, "We loved the house, but we hated it at the same time."
In April 1980, the Lutzes filed a lawsuit against their previous landlords, who they claimed had failed to make necessary repairs to the house. A month later, Mr. Lopez was killed in an automobile accident. His wife was not physically injured, but she suffered severe emotional trauma from her husband's death.
After her husband's death, Mrs. Lopez became obsessed with finding out what happened to their neighbors. She would read books about the murders and go to local police departments looking for answers. In January 1981, she went to the Amityville Police Department and told them that she believed that someone was still living in the house with her son.