While the Portunus temple is a little smaller than the other temples in the Forum Boarium and the nearby Forum Holitorium, it falls within the overall type of Late Republican temple architecture. The Temple of Portunus has a contemporaneous counterpart in the Temple of the Sibyl at Tibur (today Tivoli), which dates from around 150–125 B.C.E. Both temples were probably built by order of the Sibylline Books themselves; since they were dedicated to very different deities, this indicates that both Portunus and the Sibyl had equal status.
The origins of the cult of Portunus are obscure. Some scholars believe he was a Greek god, while others think he was a Roman one. What is certain is that he was already popular when the temple was built: several Sibylline Books have been found buried in his sanctuary, which confirms its importance during his era.
The Temple of Portunus is located between the two theaters in the Forum Boarium. It is one of the few temples in Rome that still preserves some of its original features, such as the entrance facade, the cella and the pronaos. Inside, there are also some traces of paintings on the walls of the temple's atrium. The current appearance of the temple is likely due to renovations or additions made in the 4th century C.E.: there are no original elements dating back to the time of Portunus.
Yogini Chausath Temple Mitavli's Chausath Yogini Temple is one of India's most unusual Hindu temples. It has a circular floor design and is devoted to the Tantric sect of Chausath Yogini. The main deity in the temple is called Mitavli because she has 100 hands! Each hand is made up of three fingers - one finger for each of the gods Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma.
The temple was built in memory of two sisters who were killed by their husband or his family members. This kind of murder is known as chatus (or chattel) marriage. In this case, the sisters had strayed from the religious path and started worshipping different gods. To get rid of them, their husband or his family members threw them into the well on which the temple is built. However, the sisters were not dead yet and came back to life in the form of birds. They continued to live in the forest near the well until they died natural deaths. People then started visiting the site where the well used to be before it was filled in with rocks and soil.
Since its construction, the temple has been a subject of controversy between religious leaders. The tantrics claim that the temple looks like Parliament because it has eight arms going up to the sky representing the number of deities it contains.
|the innermost shrine of a temple in ancient greece (6)|
|The innermost shrine of a temple in ancient Greece (6)|
|A monumental tower at the entrance to a temple in southern India|
The hall was constructed during the reign of Vijayanagara (1336–1555). The Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple features 21 tower entrances. The main entryway shrine is 236 feet tall, making it Asia's second highest temple tower. The other 20 entrances are smaller than the main one.
It is said that this temple has been built solely from donations by kings and others who sought his blessings. It is also believed that a part of the income from the merchant ships that used to visit the port at Tirunelveli belongs to the temple. The temple administration claims that this amount is more than enough to cover the expenses involved in running the temple.
The original structure of the temple is unknown because most of it is covered with layers of plaster which have had to be removed over time to expose the original structures underneath. There are three major renovations or rebuilds of the temple since its initial construction - in 1360, 1677 and 1843.
During the British period, the temple came under the control of a trustee named Mr. Chetty who was responsible for maintaining its assets. After India's independence in 1947, the management of the temple was transferred to the Hindu Religious Trust which is now called the Srirangam Devarajeswari Temple Administration.
A study of Oriental architecture or history would be incomplete if the Tanjore Brihadeeshwara Temple or the Tanjore Periya Kovil were not mentioned (Big Temple). Raja Raja Cholan and his sister Kundavai, both fervent worshippers of Lord Shiva, created this spectacular edifice. The temple is mostly built of granite with some elements made of sandstone and mortar. It has a tall tower in the center called the gopuram which is an ornate shrine that rises above the roofline. The main entrance to the temple is through a huge rock formation called the nandi mittai or "bull's face". The complex also includes a small museum with photographs and information about the temple.
The temple was built between 14th and 16th centuries during the Vijayanagara Empire rule over south India. It stands testimony to the wealth and power of the Cholans - rulers of southern Tamil Nadu state. The temple is dedicated to Brihadeeswara, or "Lord who shows the way". It has eight shrines, each with its own unique feature. There are many paintings and sculptures inside and outside the temple showing various forms of Shiva. The largest such sculpture can be found in the central shrine called the gopuram or "gateway". It measures 30 feet high and 24 feet wide and weighs approximately 20 tons!
The temple has been listed as one of the World Heritage Sites by UNESCO since 1979.