But it was President Theodore Roosevelt who, in 1901, made the White House the official name of the president's house in the United States. (Other titles for the Presidents' House include the Executive Mansion, the Presidential Palace, and the Presidential Mansion.) It is often referred to as "The People's House."
The White House is a national landmark within Washington, D.C. It is a historic site that contains offices, apartments, and other rooms that are used by the president and his or her family. The property also includes a large yard, known as a "park," which is open to the public. Construction on the current White House began in 1792 and was finished in 1800. Since then, there have been many changes made to the building, including adding on more floors, modifications, and improvements. In 2001, an earthquake caused major damage to parts of the building, forcing officials to close it down for five months while it was repaired.
Inside the White House, you will find several rooms that are important to the presidency. The Oval Office is located on the first floor and is the place where the president conducts business meetings and interviews. It is also where he or she makes critical decisions about government policy. Next to the Oval Office is the Blue Room, which serves as the setting for some official events such as state ceremonies and awards presentations. On the second floor, you will find the Red Room, which is where important political events take place.
The structure was previously known as the "President's Palace," the "Presidential Mansion," or the "President's House." In official situations, the term "Executive Mansion" was used until President Theodore Roosevelt established the formal name by having "White House-Washington" inscribed on stationery in 1901.
The word "white" in the name does not refer to any color scheme used in the building's decorating. It comes from the fact that when George Washington commissioned the house, it was to be built with white mortar and stone. The Washingtons wanted a home for themselves that was separate but equal to the homes of their neighbors. They did not want to live in a house owned by the government because this would make them subjects rather than citizens. The White House site was originally part of a farm owned by Colonel John Chilton which he had purchased in 1772. He had the house rebuilt in 1802 after it was destroyed by fire. The new house was two stories high with white mortar and stone walls about 22 feet long and 14 feet wide. It included six bedrooms, a dining room, a drawing room, a library, and three bathrooms. Inside the house, white plaster was used to cover the wood frame because people at the time believed it made the rooms look bigger and brighter.
In 1829, President Andrew Jackson rented out the upper floor of the mansion to four women who were friends of his. They took turns living there while he was in office.
The White House has not always been referred to as the White House. Before President Theodore Roosevelt gave it the current name in 1901, it was known as the President's Palace, then the President's House, and finally the Executive Mansion.
Before he became president, Thomas Jefferson ordered that a new house be built for him and his family in Washington, D.C. The mansion was to be called "Airfield", but this name never appeared on any documents and is not known for certain why it was chosen. The site was purchased by the federal government and plans were made for the new president by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. Work began in 1816 and was not completed until after Jefferson's death, when it was given its present name. The interior was redesigned by Charles Willson Peale and other American artists who worked in the White House.
When Roosevelt took office in 1901, many changes were being made to the house by its second owner, William Howard Taft. Among these changes was the addition of a large ballroom to the first floor of the house. Roosevelt disliked the ballroom and refused to use it. He instead held parties in the East Room of the house or in another room of the same floor. This arrangement continued until 1909 when the whole first floor was remodeled in French Provincial style with sandstone walls and a tile roof.
In 1901, President Theodore Roosevelt gave the White House its current name. The previous name, "Executive Mansion," was used from 1829 to 1901.
Roosevelt had been president for only five months when he ordered the renovation of parts of the house and the addition of a large ballroom. He also moved into the newly renovated Executive Mansion which is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
The work cost $750,000 and took six years to complete. When Roosevelt died in 1919, he was buried in his backyard near his home in Oyster Bay, New York. His wife, mother, and son all died within eight years of his death. Today, the family mausoleum remains but there is no evidence that any bodies are still buried in the yard.
During World War II, the first floor of the White House was converted into a hospital for injured soldiers. After the war, it became the Walter Reed Army Medical Center where wounded veterans could be treated free of charge. The second floor of the White House was converted into a medical center in 1999. Today, the facility treats over 27,000 patients a year and is one of the largest military hospitals in the world.
Previously it had been known as The President's House or simply Washington's House.
The official name of the executive mansion is the "Presidential Mansion". It is located at 3201 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500.
The building was constructed between 1792 and 1800 for George Washington who was living in it when he became president. He appointed his friend Benjamin Henry Latrobe to design the house. It is one of the earliest examples of American architecture and helped establish the modern office environment with its separate rooms for receiving guests, interviewing candidates, voting, and eating meals together as a family. In 1814, after Washington died in office, the house was given to the government as part of its capital city award. It has been the residence of every US president since then except for two, John Adams who lived in Philadelphia and James Monroe who lived in Alexandria.
Today, tourists can visit the first floor of the executive mansion by making an appointment through the White House website. They are allowed to walk around the outside of the house but not inside because some rooms have been preserved as they appeared when Washington lived there.