Architecture The castle is divided into two main rings of buildings: the inner ring, which is centered on a tiny courtyard, and the outer ring, which houses the important apartments. This building is located in the heart of a vast bailey. It includes a great hall with an open timber roof structure, a chapel, and private living quarters.
Alnwick Castle was built between 1543 and 1565 for Sir William Fitzalan. The earliest written evidence of construction dates from 1543 when the king granted permission for the castle to be built near "a good water supply". The castle took nearly 20 years to build at a cost of about £40,000 (today's value). It was designed by the Italian architect Giuliano da Maestro who also designed King Henry VIII's palace at Greenwich. The castle has nine towers and three courtyards. Inside the castle, you can see many paintings by famous artists such as Gainsborough, Reynolds, and Van Dyck.
Alnwick Castle is one of the most important examples of Tudor architecture in England. It has been listed as a National Heritage Site since 1970. Today, the castle remains intact and is used mainly for state occasions and for public events.
The castle is open daily except Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. Entry is free but there is a charge for some exhibitions.
This castle was made out of timber structures enclosed by a ringwork (a circular earthwork). The ringwork was fortified with timber defenses and enclosed by a deep ditch, which still exists, partially filled with water. On the ditch's south bank, a bailey, or enclosure, existed. This was where the soldiers of the castle would have lived.
The original castle was built in about 1180 by Henry II to protect his border with Scotland. It was later expanded by his son, King Edward I, who visited the castle on several occasions. In 1307, the Scottish invaded and took control of the castle for three days before it was reclaimed by Edward's forces. In 1316, another invasion force from Scotland captured the castle but they were again defeated by Edward's men. In total, the castle changed hands seven times between the Scots and English until it was finally agreed that the castle should be shared between them, so it could be used as a border fortification instead of being taken over by invaders.
After the war, the king ordered that the castle be demolished because it was considered expensive to maintain. The ruins of the castle are all that remain today of Middleham Castle.
The bailey was an open space within the castle complex that housed the household and other relevant castle structures. The inner bailey was located within the main castle, whilst the outer bailey was located outside of the core castle defenses and was thus more vulnerable to attack. These term are used for historic castles today; they may not be accurate for all types of castles.
Inner baileys were usually smaller than outer baileys and could contain one or more new buildings. They were often surrounded by a fence or wall to keep out intruders and to restrict access to only those allowed inside the castle grounds. The area within the fence or wall was called the ward. People living in the warden were able to protect themselves from attackers by raising an alarm when someone trespassed onto the ward.
Outer baileys usually consisted of open fields where crops could be grown to supply food for the castle residents and soldiers. The area outside the fence or wall was called laager. Attacks on the castle would stop whatever activity was taking place there at the time; if the camp was raided, the occupants would have had no warning before being caught off guard.
Bailey is a term used in English law for an area within a castle's boundary that was accessible only by gatehouse entry. This area was used to house servants and other staff who weren't permitted into the main part of the castle.