The chapels are entered at the back of the San Lorenzo Church and are split into three sections: the crypt, the Cappella dei Principi (Chapel of the Princes), and the New Sacristy. More information regarding the contents of the chapels may be found here. The church also contains several paintings and sculptures.
The San Lorenzo Church is one of the most important churches in Florence. It was built between 1444 and 1448 by Antonfrancesco di Antonio di Buonaventura di Lorenzo del Piero, aka Brunelleschi. The original design included a dome but this was not completed until 1511 after the builder's death. In 1773 Giuseppe Zoppino added two more floors to the dome bringing its height to 42 meters (137 feet). This was the highest dome in Italy at the time. The dome was restored in 1877 by Luca Beltranozzi and then again in 1952-1954 by Alfredo Guarneri after it was damaged by fire.
Brunelleschi was an Italian Renaissance architect who designed the Dome of Michelangelo and the Great Hall at the University of Florence. He also had a role in designing the San Lorenzo Church although he died before it was complete. His son, Leonardo Brunelleschi, continued his work on the dome of the San Lorenzo Church until his death in 1446 while still in his thirties.
St. Stephen's Cathedral has numerous formal chapels, including the baptismal chapel, St. Katherine's Chapel, which is located at the foot of the south tower. St. Barbara's Chapel, located at the base of the north tower, is a place of reflection and prayer. The southeast corner's St. Eligius Chapel is open for prayer. The cathedral also has two memorial chapels: one dedicated to those who died in World War II, the other to victims of the September 11 attacks.
The cathedral is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; during these hours, it is accessible to people with mobility issues. A free audio guide is available throughout the building in English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
There are several ways to take advantage of St. Stephen's Cathedral's amenities: you can sign up for a guided tour; attend one of the many services offered each week; or just drop by and pray at one of the many chapels. Please note that due to health regulations, there is no smoking allowed inside the cathedral.
St. Stephen's Cathedral is one of Chicago's most beautiful buildings and worth visiting even if you're not planning on going inside. It was built between 1904 and 1911 in Gothic Revival style and is considered by some to be the work of the greatest master of that style in America, George M. White.
There are seven churches in Iloilo that you may attend for Visita Iglesia.
The majestic San Luis Rey church is the sole remaining cruciform mission church. During the mission period, a large outside hallway with 32 Roman arches spanned the front of the friary or convento. A perimeter fence allows access to the Mission quadrangle (now part of the retreat/conference complex). The first Mass said in California was celebrated here by Father Junipero Serra on September 16, 1771.
The church was built between 1772 and 1776 by Spanish settlers at the site of what would later become Los Angeles. The original church building was constructed with stone obtained from the nearby hills. In 1812, after the Mexican War of Independence, Mexico gained control of California, and in 1821 the mission was transferred to the newly established Church of Rome. Pope Gregory XVI made the mission parish an abbey and named it Santa Maria della Merced. In 1834, during the secularization of Spain's missions, the abbey was given to the University of Notre Dame. The university closed the abbey down in 1845 because of financial difficulties and sold its buildings. In 1847, the town council of Los Angeles bought the abbey's land for use as a public park. The city government demolished most of the mission buildings over time to make way for streetcars and rail lines. Only the rectory, sacristy, and parts of the garden remain today. They are under protection of the City of Los Angeles as historic monuments.
The church of San Pietro in Vincoli. One of the greatest treasures of Italian art, Michelangelo's Moses, is tucked away in Rome's lovely Rione Monti, in the small church of San Pietro in Vincoli, and is an example of exceptional craftsmanship and unmatched beauty. The sculpture was created between 1513 and 1516 for the sanctuary of a Catholic church in Florence called Santa Maria del Popolo, but it was moved to its current location when that city changed hands several times after being conquered by various armies over the course of hundreds of years.
Michelangelo was only 35 years old when he completed this work, which shows evidence of his astonishing talent. The statue is based on a biblical story from the Book of Exodus about Moses receiving God's commandments on behalf of all Israel. Although some believe that Michelangelo did not live long enough to see his work placed inside San Pietro in Vincoli because of illness, others think that he chose this location specifically so that people would come to admire his artwork.
San Pietro in Vincoli is one of many churches that can be found in Rome. It is a beautiful example of Renaissance architecture and dates back to the 1500s. Michelangelo was not only an incredible artist, but he also had a hand in designing this church with its unique dome design!