Between 1792 and 1800, Aquia Creek sandstone was painted white and used in the construction. When Thomas Jefferson moved into the home in 1801, he erected low colonnades on either wing to conceal stables and stores (together with architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe). These were the first use of this material as a building stone in Washington.
The house was then painted gray to hide any marks that might be made by soot from the numerous fires that consumed much of downtown Washington during its early years. The painter was probably William Clark. He had been appointed chief clerk in the Department of State and spent most of his time abroad. However, he did give orders to his son, also named William, who lived in the house. This young man apparently served as an assistant painter until 1815, when he went to London to study art. There is no record of his return to America but it can be assumed that he resumed work for his father. The elder William died in 1819; his son followed him into death four years later. Thus ended the family line at the White House.
After William Clark's death, the house was again painted gray because the government wanted it that way. The commissioners of public buildings felt that making any alteration to the appearance of the house would cause embarrassment to the president while he was living in it. As well, they wanted to prevent any disputes between relatives over who should get which room.
The stone is soft and easily carved, which explains why it was used so widely for public buildings at the time. A century later, this method of painting was used again for the new executive mansion (now called the White House). The interior walls are 1-1/4 miles of them!
The first structure to be built on this site was a hunting lodge built by George Washington around 1748. It was destroyed by fire several years later. The current house was built between 1792 and 1797 by John H. Ewing as a wedding present for his son Robert and wife Elizabeth. It was originally called "Bellevue" after its street address before it was officially named the United States Capitol after Washington became president.
Inside, you can see many features unique to the early federal style of architecture, including Doric and Ionic columns, corbelled brick cornices, and fluted Doric pilasters on the front facade. The house has been renovated twice since then - once in 1814 under President James Monroe and again in 1824 under President William Howard Taft.
It is located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., and has served as the official home of every President of the United States since John Adams in 1800. The house was most recently renovated from 2006 to 2008 by Robert A. M. Stern.
The house has eight rooms on the first floor and four more on the second floor. There are also several ancillary rooms such as pantries, kitchens, butlers' rooms, etc. Located on the first floor is the Oval Room, which serves as the waiting room for visitors to see the president. On the second floor is the Lincoln Sitting Room, which is named after Abraham Lincoln who is said to have spent many hours reading in this room.
Outside is a large garden called the White House Lawn. It is here that the president gives speeches, hosts events, and meets with members of the media. The East Garden is covered in flowers and trees including lilacs, laburnums, hydrangeas, roses, and snowballs during the winter season. The West Garden contains vegetables and herbs for the household staff to use.
The 13th of October, 1792 The White House construction formally began on October 13, 1792, with the laying of a cornerstone during a Masonic ritual. Don Hawkins produced this map of Washington, DC in 1801. It shows property owners at that time and is useful for seeing what parts of Washington were developed then vs now.
There are two types of buildings that can be used as the president's home: the executive mansion and the office of the president. The executive mansion is where the president lives when he is in town. The office of the president is where the president works when he is not in town. A new house needs to be built each time a president moves out because otherwise they would be living in tents. The last time this happened was when William Howard Taft moved out and went to live in another city after leaving office in 1909.
The White House is a presidential residence located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. It is the official home of the president of the United States. In addition to being the president's home, it is also important to note that the White House is a government building that houses offices for various members of the president's staff as well as other federal agencies.
The White House was built between 1791 and 1795 by Thomas Jefferson who was then serving as secretary of state.
It was built in 1818 and served as the primary administrative house of Jefferson Davis, the sole President of the Confederate States of America, from August 1861 to April 1865. The White House of the Confederacy was seen as the Confederate States' equivalent to the White House in Washington, D.C.
|Architect||attributed to Robert Mills|
The renovation, planned by White House staff and engineers from General Electric and Westinghouse, reconfigured the working space, replaced rusted pipes, installed a completely new electrical system with all-new electric appliances, and installed more efficient dumbwaiters to transport food to the State Floor dining rooms above.
In 1791, our first president, George Washington, chose the location for the White House. The cornerstone was placed the next year, and a design proposed by Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen.
13th of October, 1792 Construction on the White House began. The White House celebrates its 100th anniversary today. Here's a peek at its incredible past. The cornerstone for the White House was laid on October 13, 1792, marking the start of construction. The building was completed in 1800 after more than three years of work.
It took nearly five years to build the White House because of all the quality materials that were used during that time period. The house was made out of limestone from the nearby Rock Creek area and sandstone from Alleghany County, Virginia. The walls of the house are two feet thick and there are nine fireplaces inside the house! Even though the White House has been renovated over the years, many of its original features can still be seen.
The president lives in one part of the house and his family in another. When George Washington became the first president, he lived in a small apartment on the second floor with his wife, Martha. Their bedroom had no doors and only had windows for light. There were no locks on any door back then because everyone knew who went in and out of the room. This is where they stayed while their new home was being built.
They even left their furniture behind when they moved out.