5.75km North Bihar's lifeline is the 5.75-kilometer-long bridge. It was built by Gammon India for Rs 87.22 crore and is hailed as a great technical wonder, a miracle of balance, and elegant in appearance. The longest continuous truss span in Asia spans the river.
It has been called "the most beautiful bridge in Asia" and it certainly is an impressive sight as you cross it. The best time to visit the bridge is during the monsoon season when the water level is high enough to allow safe passage under the bridge.
The foundation stone of the bridge was laid on May 12, 2007 by then Prime Minister of India, Mr. Manmohan Singh and the first section of the bridge was opened to traffic on November 17, 2010. It took about two years and a half to complete the project completely.
How did Coronation Bridge come into existence? In 1997, a treaty was signed between India and Britain granting land in both countries access to the other's rivers. Under this agreement, the government of India acquired land on its side of the river and constructed a new city on it while the British government granted land on their side of the river to build a new country town.
Lengthy journey Suspension bridges may reach between two and thirteen thousand feet in length. No other sort of bridge can stretch thus far. As a result, it is frequently the design used by builders to connect distant areas. Although they are often thought of as connecting cities together, these bridges also connect towns or villages to one another.
They are usually made from steel wire cables with horizontal members called "girders" supporting each side of the bridge. The distance between each girder is usually about 48 inches. At the end of each girder there is a vertical tower called a "post". The distance between each post is usually about 96 inches.
The length of a suspension bridge is the sum of the lengths of its piers plus its deck. Piers must be long enough to support the weight of the bridge while allowing for an adequate clearance beneath them. This means that heavy vehicles can pass without risk of collision below most bridges. Clearance is particularly important with regard to river bridges where parts of the channel bed may be used as a road surface.
Deck length is mostly determined by how much traffic will be using the bridge per day. If it is expected to carry only one vehicle at a time, then the length required is based on the number of trips needed to drain the oil from the engine.
The bridge is 800 feet (240 meters) long and has two towers, each 213 feet (65 meters) tall and built on piers. The 200-foot (61-meter) center span between the towers is divided into two equal bascules, or leaves, that can be raised to an angle of 86 degrees to allow river traffic to pass. The bridge was designed by Sir John Rennie and opened in 1824.
In addition to being a crossing point for vehicles and pedestrians, the bridge also serves as a rail line with four lanes for road traffic and one lane for light rail transport. The bridge is owned by London's port authority but operated by a private company under a contract with the government. The main contractor for the construction of the bridge was Thomas Pile who had previously worked with Brunel on the SS Great Britain project. The total cost of building the bridge was £1.5 million ($3.8 million in 2015).
It took seven years to complete the project and the opening ceremony was held on November 17, 1824. The first vehicle to cross the bridge was a brewer's cart carrying beer bottles from St Peter's Churchyard into Southwark.
This masterpiece of engineering has withstood the tests of time and traffic and remains one of the most recognizable landmarks in London. It's been listed as a World Heritage Site and was awarded the European Union's EN12525 certificate for quality management systems in civil engineering projects.
The bridge measures 631 meters in length and 13.5 meters in width. The bridge is made up of 376 pre-stressed beams and 47 pre-stressed spans. Six metres above the river, the bridge arch rises. Every day, almost 23,000 cars pass the bridge. It remains one of the busiest vehicular crossings over the River Thames.
The Forster Bridge was built by the London Bridge Group between 1936 and 1951. It carries six lanes of traffic across the Thames River between South London and the Royal Docks. The main road bridge connects Greenwich with the Docklands area. The A206 leads to the north while the A100 leads to the south of the town. The nearest railway station is Plumstead on the Gravesend Branchline.
When it was first opened to traffic, the Forster Bridge was the longest cable-stayed bridge in Europe. It has been said to be the most important design project for British civil engineer Sir Hugh Casson. The bridge was named after Lord Forster, who was then the Secretary of State for India. He had no connection with the construction of the bridge but only came into existence after it was completed.
Looking at its length of 631 meters, you can see how vital it was for traffic going into and out of London during the 1930s. Before this bridge was built, there were only two other crossing points available to vehicles: the Old London Bridge and the Tower Bridge.