Pisa Cathedral (Cattedrale Metropolitana Primaziale di Santa Maria Assunta; Duomo di Pisa) is a medieval Roman Catholic cathedral in Pisa, Italy, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It was built between 1163 and 1278 to replace an earlier structure that had been destroyed in 1163 during the eruption of Mount Etna. The new cathedral was designed by Giorgio Pisano, who also designed the famous bronze doors for the Baptistry of Pisa. The interior of the cathedral was decorated by artists from Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna, including Giotto, Masaccio, Pietro Lorenzetti, and Simone Martini.
The current cathedral stands on the site of the former Pisan cathedral, which was destroyed in 1163 during the eruption of Mount Etna. The new cathedral was commissioned by Emperor Frederick I and completed in just over eight years at a cost of about $2 million. It has three naves with chapels along the sides, with a total length of about 40 meters. The exterior is mostly made up of light-colored stone, with some black marble used for the main altar. The central tower, which reaches a height of about 70 meters, was not finished at the time of its construction. It was started in 1278 but not completed until 15 months after Giovanni de' Medici died.
Italy, Pisa After the cathedral and the Pisa Baptistry, the tower is the third-oldest structure on the city's Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo). ...
|Leaning Tower of Pisa|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Active|
The church's belltower is the Tower of Pisa. Pisa was once a basic yet important Italian seaport. As the city grew, so did its religious structures. A church, a baptistery, a bell tower (the Tower of Pisa), and a cemetery were all planned. The earliest evidence of construction on the site of today's Tower of Pisa dates back to 1063. However, it wasn't until 1164 that work began on the present structure, which at the time had only three stories.
The tower was built as an example to other cities. It is based on the design of Guglielmo Gucci, an early 13th-century architect from Siena. The designer wanted to create a tall, slender tower that would be visible for many miles around. He succeeded beyond his own expectations - the Tower of Pisa has become one of the most recognizable landmarks in Italy and across the world.
The tower was originally painted red, white, and blue. These colors are still seen in some modern representations of the tower. But the original color scheme has faded over time. Today, the top three floors of the tower are black with iron windows, while the bottom three are dark gray with limestone accents.
The interior of the tower is hollow. This is because any damage done to the structure could cause it to collapse. So, during construction, the builders decided to leave the interior empty.