The second was St. Michael's, a 14th-century Gothic church that was subsequently classified as a cathedral but now stands as a destroyed shell after being bombed during WWII. The third structure is the new St. Michael's Cathedral, which was erected immediately adjacent to the previous after it was destroyed. This current cathedral is different from its predecessor in several ways. It has more than twice the size and contains many more statues and other decorations.
There are actually four churches located on one site in Coventry. The fourth church is Christ Church, which is not associated with the Anglican Church but rather the Catholic Church. It was built in 1854 by Sir Charles Barry who also designed Westminster Hall in London. Christ Church is another Gothic Revival structure with thick walls and small windows for secrecy. It measures 100 feet long and 75 feet wide with an nave and aisles. There is no tower but there used to be one.
Christ Church is surrounded by trees and sits within walking distance of the city center. It can hold 900 people and is known for its beautiful stained glass windows.
Coventry has been called the "Gothic City" because of its many buildings with Gothic styles of architecture. There are three main types of Gothic styles: Romanesque, Norman, and Early English. Of these, the most popular style in Coventry is Romanesque due to its simplicity and use of stone instead of brick or wood.
Cathedrals in England The Roman Catholic cathedral for the Bishopric of the Forces, which supplies chaplains to the British Armed Forces, is the Cathedral Church of St Michael and St George. It is located in London, near Horse Guards Parade. Construction began in 1868 and it was opened in 1875. It is a stunning building with 645 feet (197 m) of frontage on Buckingham Palace Road and 22 floors above street level. The tower is an impressive 315 feet (96 m) high.
The Anglican cathedral in England is St Paul's Cathedral. It is one of the most famous churches in the world and has been called "a symphony of stone". It was built between 1672 and 1714 after the previous one had been destroyed by fire. The new St Paul's replaced an earlier 12-sided structure that had been built a few years before Charles II returned from exile and reopened the English church after nearly 20 years of Protestant rule. The king was named as the principal builder of the new cathedral but many others contributed to its success over the next two decades including John Van Dyke, who designed the royal family's tombs inside the cathedral.
St Paul's remains one of the largest religious buildings in the world after being greatly enlarged following the Great Fire of London in 1666.
Glasgow Cathedral (Glasgow Cathedral) This ancient cathedral, which symbolizes the founding of Glasgow, is supposed to have been erected on the location of St Kentigern's grave. The first record of the building of a church here is in 645 when Saint Wilfrid arrived in Scotland after being sent by King Edwin of Northumbria.
It was not until about 1150 that the present Gothic structure was built. This new cathedral was dedicated to Thomas Becket who had been murdered in England. It was not until much later that it became known as Glasgow Cathedral; the name change came about in 1540 when King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in Britain. The monks of Glasgow were unwilling to give up their possessions and so they moved them to France where they re-built a large monastery near Paris called La Grande Abbey. There are still some buildings at this site which include a museum containing many relics from early Scottish history.
The original cathedral was destroyed during the Scottish Wars of Independence in 1263. The current building dates from 1311-1564 and is famous for its magnificent interior with columns and arches carved from single blocks of Caen stone. It also has one of the largest rose windows in Europe measuring 30 feet wide and 14 feet high.
It is one of Europe's biggest cathedrals, having the longest total length of any Gothic cathedral. It is the seat of the Bishop of Winchester and the center of the Diocese of Winchester, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, Saint Peter, Saint Paul, and, before the Reformation, Saint Swithun. The original church on this site was built in the 12th century, but it was largely destroyed by fire in 1166. Rebuilt within a few years, it was again damaged by fire in 1215 and yet again in 1731. The current building thus dates from the 13th century.
Winchester is famous for its many treasures preserved in glass cases throughout the cathedral. These include the oldest surviving stained-glass window in England, made in Germany around 1200 and brought here when rebuilt after the 1215 fire. Other important items include the Golden Altarpiece, which contains sheets of gold and silver plate donated by European monarchs between 1180 and 1330; and the Rood Screen, an oak structure with carved panels depicting scenes from the life of Christ dating from about 1250. There are also several other notable monuments inside the cathedral.
The largest single piece of art in Winchester is a series of four large paintings by William Blake (1757–1827), called The Four Zoas or The Four Creatures. Each painting measures over 7 feet high and 3 feet wide.
Archbishop Konrad von Hochstaden laid the cornerstone of the Gothic Cathedral on August 15, 1248, the Feast of the Assumption of Mary. Despite being struck by multiple large bombs during WWII, Cologne Cathedral remarkably survived. However, it took several years to completely repair the structure. The last mass was said in the cathedral on August 4, 1945, just days before the end of World War II.
After World War II, German authorities attempted to rebuild the cathedral using parts of the original building and materials shipped in from all over Europe. The project was not completed until 1954. Today, due to damage caused by bombing raids and other accidents, only about one-third of the original building remains. The new portion of the cathedral is similar to the old one in many ways; for example, it has a nave and two aisles with transepts and a dome above the crossing. But there are also some important differences. For example, the new section is mostly made of steel and concrete instead of stone. It looks like a big white box with thin walls and no interior columns. In fact, the entire building is supported by structural beams inserted into the ground beneath it. There are no pillars inside the nave supporting the roof or separating off rooms like in older churches.
The cathedral's appearance today is the result of numerous renovations and changes over time.