The Alamo is a mission chapel from the 18th century in San Antonio, Texas. It was initially intended to serve as the church for the Mission San Antonio de Valero, which was established in 1718. Spanish Franciscan friars erected the church to convert the native Indians to Christianity. The structure has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1970.
After the fall of Mexico City to General Santa Anna in 1836, plans were made to build a new capital city at the site of the old one. The government hired an Italian architect to design a town plan for San Antonio; the plan called for large open spaces with streets running north-south instead of east-west like most other European towns at that time. The government also ordered $15,000 worth of machinery and equipment for their use in developing their new city.
In April 1838, the first shipment of equipment and supplies arrived at the port of entry near present-day San Antonio. A group of Irish immigrants named it after James Bowie, a famous soldier who had died years before. When the Mexicans took over the mission in 1835, they used parts of the buildings for offices and storage. They sold the land to American settlers who wanted to be close to the government center of their new country.
Over the next few decades, several more missions were built in the area; however, no churches were ever constructed for them.
The Alamo is a San Antonio, Texas mission that served as a fort during the Texas Revolution. In 1836, the Alamo was the location of 187 Texan fatalities. A chapel established as part of a Spanish mission in San Antonio, Texas, in 1744 and later converted to a fort in the early 1800s. The mission was burned by Mexican forces under Santa Anna in 1836. It was not rebuilt.
The Alamo has been called the most famous church in America not owned by Christians.
It is a national monument and a popular destination for tourists from around the world. The mission's main building is a large fortress with walls more than 10 feet thick at their base and more than 30 feet high. The interior contains cells for holding prisoners, an altar, chandeliers, and other decorations. There are also two small chapels on the property. One is dedicated to St. Joseph and the other to St. James the Great.
The Alamo has been used for various purposes since its destruction. In 1841, it was bought by David G. Burnet who had it dismantled down to its foundation to build his mansion. This first Alamo was only four years old when it was destroyed. The current Alamo was built between 1892 and 1895 across the street from the site of the original mission. It is a replica of the mission as it appeared in 1836.
The Alamo's Construction The mission's construction began on May 8, 1744. It was completed and dedicated six months later on November 20, 1744. The church was destroyed along with most of the other buildings on the mission grounds during the Mexican War of 1812. A new church was built about a mile away from the old one. This church still stands today and is known as the Old San Antonio Church. The new church was constructed out of brick and had a stone altar. It also had large windows that let in lots of light.
After the war ended, the old church site was sold to an Anglo settler by the name of William Brown. He had the stones used in building the new church moved here to build a house foundation. The first mass in the new church was held on February 11, 1821. It took several years until it was complete enough for worship services. At that time, it had been renamed "The Christ of Good Tidings Church". In 1834, it was finally granted its current name - the Alamo.
The church has been renovated many times over the years but it remains an important part of San Antonio's history. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been declared a National Historic Landmark.
The Alamo Mission (Spanish: Mision de Alamo), also known as the Mision San Antonio de Valero and usually referred to as the "Alamo," is a historic Spanish mission and fortress compound constructed in the 18th century by Roman Catholic missionaries in what is now San Antonio, Texas, United States. The site was originally occupied by Native Americans.
The original Alamo structure was built from 1731 to 1736 by Jose Francisco de Arredondo under order of the King of Spain. It was burned down in 1813 during the Battle of San Jacinto. Rebuilt by James Bowie, it was again destroyed by Mexican forces in 1836 during the Battle of San Jacinto. Today's Alamo was built between 1841 and 1845 by David G. Burnet at a cost of $15,000. It stands three stories tall and has 60,000 square feet (5,500 m2) of floor space.
The Alamo is one of the most famous landmarks in Texas and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since March 19, 1973. It is especially popular among Texan residents and visitors who associate it with the history of their state and country. A museum opened inside the alamo in 1992 that displays historical documents, photographs, and artwork related to the mission.
Today, the alamo serves as a tourist attraction and memorial to the defenders of Texas independence from Mexico.