The Arenes de Lutece were constructed in the first century AD and functioned as a venue of amusement for centuries after that. Lutetia was attacked by barbarians in the late third century AD, and the amphitheatre was demolished. It was later used for industrial purposes before being restored and converted into a public park in 1844.
In those days, Roman arenas were often built over old structures such as this one, which had been used for other purposes previously. The new ones were usually larger and better equipped than the old one. The French arena was about 105 feet (32 m) long and 45 feet (14 m) wide. That's smaller than most modern sports venues but larger than many ancient cities' stadiums. There were no set rules for construction of an arena; builders took their cues from military architecture at the time.
The Romans used their arenas to host various forms of entertainment for crowds of up to 30,000 people. These included gladiator fights, animal hunts, and musical events. The Paris arena could seat 20,000 people who would cheer on their favorites while booing the others. This large audience is evidence that the concept of fan loyalty was not yet popular among Romans who instead chose what was best for the business at hand.
The location is a little out of the way, not far from Rue Monge and nestled in a lush public garden that opened in 1896. The Arenes de Lutece were a large Gallo-Roman amphitheatre erected in Paris, then known as Lutetia during the Gallo-Roman era, in the first century A.D. It was used for entertainment as well as education and training for soldiers.
The name "Arenes" comes from the Latin word arena, which means "place of sand" or "sand plain". This refers to the original use of the site, as an open area of sand where gladiator contests could be held.
After the fall of the Roman Empire in A.D. 486, the arena continued to be used for sports and exhibitions until 1664, when it collapsed due too many useings it for other purposes.
There are still signs of the ancient arena today with some sections of the original roman walls still standing. The garden was built after this area was discovered during construction of a new building across the street from the amphitheater. Work on the new building stopped when this discovery was made so that they did not have to destroy more of the remains.
In 1894, the City of Paris bought the land behind the old arena wall to create a public park called Parc des Buttes-Chaumont.
Nonetheless, the French capital is home to a remarkable and uncommon Gallo-Roman relic: the Arena of Lutetia (les Arenes de Lutece). It was here that slaves would have fought each other for the entertainment of the crowd.
The arena is an oval-shaped construction with a diameter of about 70 meters (230 feet) and a height of about 10 meters (33 feet). It was used for numerous events including bullfights, horse races, and concerts. Artists such as Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, and U2 have all performed here over the years.
In addition to these attractions, Paris offers many other museums and galleries that are perfect places for adults to go with kids. Some examples include the Pompidou Center, which has modern and contemporary art exhibitions; the Louvre, with its extensive collection of paintings; and the Musée d'Orsay, which features artwork by Delacroix, Manet, and Renoir.
There are also several zoos in France where you can see animals in their natural habitat. Two of them are located in Paris: the Jardin des Plantes and the Parc Animalier de Dreux.
Etymology of Arenes de Lutece: After the name of a street where it stood until 1849 when it was moved to its current location. The original building was demolished and rebuilt several times before being completely destroyed by fire in 1177. That's why this hotel was called "The Arena" before becoming "L'Arena" and then just "Arenes".
Etymology of Chateau d'Ouilly: After an oil mill on the Ouille (now Oise) River, near its source. The present building dates from 1430 but it has been reconstructed several times since then. It was completely destroyed during the French Revolution.
Etymology of Hotel des Invalides: After a military hospital built between 1191 and 1273 on land donated by Philippe-Auguste for the benefit of wounded soldiers. The building was destroyed during the French Revolution and not rebuilt.
Etymology of Hôtel Dieu: Hospital founded in 1180 by Louis VII to provide medical services to poor people. It became famous after being transformed into a luxury hotel in 1607. Closed in 1970, it was reopened as a hotel in 1995.
The Roman city of Lutetia (also known as Lutetia Parisiorum in Latin and Lutece in French) was the forerunner of modern-day Paris. The old city's colossal remnants are evident in situ. However, little is known with certainty about the original layout or size of Lutetia because all evidence has been lost when the city was abandoned in the 5th century AD.
Lutetia was originally built on an island, but it was later connected to the mainland. Some historians believe that it may have been destroyed by Nero in 64 AD during his invasion of France, but this is not certain. Lutetia was rebuilt after this attack and became one of the largest cities in Gaul. It also played an important role as a trading center since it was located at a crossroads where roads from Spain, Italy, and Germany met.
Around 250 BC, Lutetia was occupied by several legions who built large villas in the surrounding areas. These fortified residences were used by high-ranking officers to protect themselves from danger while traveling throughout Gaul. After their departure, Lutetia again fell into decline until it was finally deserted in the 4th century AD.
In 52 BC, the Romans captured the Paris Basin and established themselves on Paris' Left Bank. Lutetia was the initial name of the Roman town (more fully, Lutetia Parisiorum, "Lutetia of the Parisii"). It developed into a flourishing city, complete with a forum, baths, temples, theaters, and an amphitheatre. By the end of the century, however, it had been destroyed by Germanic tribes.
The Romans returned to France in 118 AD when Emperor Augustus sent his general Agricola to establish a military post on the English Channel island of Hurn. The post became known as "Castra Vetera" ("Old Fort"), which later evolved into Brussels. In addition to its military use, the site included a hospital for injured soldiers and a school for training young men in writing and arithmetic. When the school closed its doors for the last time in 472, its students included the famous fifth-century British scholar John Cassian.
Augustus also appointed two other generals as governors of French provinces: Quintus Caecilius Metellus Celer, who was given Gaul, and Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus, who was assigned Hispania (modern-day Spain). These three men formed the First Triumvirate, which ruled Rome from 30 BC until their deaths in 14 AD. The First Triumvirate divided up power among them, with Caesar becoming co-dictator with Augustus and leaving the army commands to Metellus Celer.
Third century A.D. Their town was called Lutetia, or Lutece in French; the name Paris emerges for the first time in the third century AD. The Romans renamed their city after the Greek princess who became queen of France, Livia Drusilla.
Lutece was originally a Roman settlement on the site of today's Paris airport. When the Gauls invaded Rome, they captured Lutece and made it their capital. After being defeated by Julius Caesar in 50 B.C., the Gauls negotiated their surrender by sending him gifts of gold and silver. This is said to be how Caesar earned the nickname "Goldfinger" from his adversaries.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Lutece was occupied by various Germanic tribes before being conquered by the beginning of the 11th century. Under the name "Lupescar", it was owned by a family named "Lupicini". In 987, another family named "Lupicini" bought Lutece and changed its name to "Lugdunum Seculare". Two years later, the future emperor Henry II was born there. In 1015, Lugdunum Seculare was destroyed by fire and never recovered.