The structure was originally comprised of 350,000 cubic feet of white Georgia marble and encompassed 20 acres of floor space. The Field Museum opens to the public on May 2, 1921. The opening exhibition features human remains from all over the world that reveal how many different ways humans can be related.
How did they get all those bones? They stole them from all over the world! The Field Museum is one of the largest and most comprehensive museums in the United States. It is located at 1501 Western Avenue in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood. The building was designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw, a well-known architect who also designed the Art Institute of Chicago.
You may not know that the Field Museum is not owned by the city of Chicago or any other government agency. It is a private institution funded entirely by donations from around the world. The museum has several buildings including this one, which is now its main entrance.
Look at the huge doors! They are made of wood with iron bands set into them. Behind each door is a large window. In the summer the windows are open but in the winter they have glass that rolls up.
Inside the Field Museum there are many rooms with displays about different subjects such as anthropology, biology, geology, and paleontology.
On May 2, 1921, the Field Museum initially opened its doors. The museum's original home was a 32-room mansion built in 1908 by Chicago business leader Rodman Wanham for his daughter Marjorie and her husband Charles Adler. The couple donated the house to the city of Chicago for use as a natural history museum. They also funded the initial cost of $100,000 (about $1.5 million in today's dollars) to build it.
The Field Museum is the only major museum in the United States devoted exclusively to anthropology. It is so named because it was founded by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, a Swiss-American naturalist who specialized in fossils. His goal was to create a place where scientists could study the diversity of life on Earth without being limited by national boundaries or racial differences.
Fuertes died in 1873 at the age of 44, but he left behind an ambitious plan to raise money for his dream museum. In 1901, his widow sold the house at 1333 Prairie to the City of Chicago for use as a museum. The building was renovated into its current form by Henry Ives Cobb and William H. Willcox, two prominent architects of their time.
The Field Museum is run by Marshall Field. Marshall Field, who gave $1 million to make the common goal of a permanent museum a reality, is still remembered in our institution's name. Our collection has expanded to almost 40 million objects and specimens since the museum's inception in 1894. It is the largest natural history museum in the United States.
Field started out as a small store he ran with his brother on Chicago's fashionable Michigan Avenue. The store became so successful that they were able to buy land nearby and create one of the first public parks in America, Lincoln Park. Marshall Field went on to have a huge impact on retail culture, becoming one of the first major retailers to install electricity in their stores for lighting and refrigeration.
He also had an interest in anthropology from an early age and this interest led him to start giving funds to support it. In 1892, he donated $10,000 (about $150,000 in today's money) to establish the Department of Anthropology at the University of Chicago. This department was the first of its kind at a university level and is now called the Field Museum of Natural History.
Marshall Field died in 1902 but not before setting up a series of endowments that provide financial support for the museum to this day.
Workers transferred numerous exhibits from the old Field Columbian Museum building to the current Field Museum facility six years later. The project took about six years to complete and cost around $7,000,000. The foundation alone took a year and reached a depth of 95 feet in certain spots. The museum opened its doors to the public on February 14, 1995.
The new Field Museum is larger than its predecessor and has more than double the exhibition space. It also features new special exhibitions, research laboratories, classrooms, and public programs for children and adults. The Field Museum is considered one of the greatest museums in the world.
You can learn more about its history and structure on our blog post.
5th of October, 2007 The museum is the world's only museum whose complete complex is designed to LEED standards. On October 5, 2007, the new $75 million, 125,000 square foot building opened, providing the Midwest with a top museum facility and Grand Rapids' first museum space designed particularly for showcasing works of art. The building is located on the site of the former Rockford Life Insurance Company headquarters at 200 W. Fulton Street.
The museum's permanent collection includes more than 10,000 objects dating from about 1800 to the present. A majority of these items were donated by individuals or families who lived in or visited western Michigan. There are also special collections including the McLellan Art Gallery which houses a selection of French Impressionist paintings and the Drury Lane Theatre Collection which features objects related to the development of American theater.
The museum has four exhibition halls: The West Wing focuses on modern and contemporary art; The East Wing features work by Midwestern artists; The Atrium displays decorative arts; And The Terrace hosts traveling exhibits.
Guided tours are available daily at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4:00 p.m.. Free time is allowed after each tour for visitors to explore at their own pace. The museum closes on Wednesday evenings from September through May and Monday mornings in June and July.
1955 Allen Stadium
|Opened||March 1, 1955|
|Renovated||1986, 1994, 1999, 2001|
|Construction cost||$2.5 million (original) ($24.2 million in 2020 dollars)|
By 1988, discussions about constructing a new stadium had heated up, and in 1989, the state, Atlanta City Council, and Fulton County Commission approved the construction of a domed stadium. On November 22, 1989, groundbreaking ceremonies took place, and the Georgia Dome was finished in time for the start of the 1992 NFL season. The dome can hold 75,000 people and has been used for many events including Super Bowls - most recently Super Bowl LI.
The dome is an architectural marvel that uses little energy while it is being used for football games because it has glass walls that allow sunlight into the building during the day and heat at night. It also uses water relatively efficiently because there are several large fountains inside the dome that keep its interior cool during the summer and warm in the winter.
The dome was designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes and Associates with input from HNTB Corporation. HNTB also designed Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, and AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Georgia Dome is so large that it has its own post office located in Brookhaven, 30 miles away from downtown Atlanta. The dome's address is 1 North Tryon Street, Building C, Room 100.
Construction on the dome was completed in time for the 1992 NFL season and was paid for by revenue from the city's airport system tax.