Construction photographs of the Harold Washington Library Center, taken between 1988 and 1991, illustrate the building process. The HWLC was dedicated on October 4, 1991, and opened on October 7, 1991. Named for the city's first African American mayor, Harold Washington (1922–1987) it is the largest public library in Chicago.
Harold Washington Library Center opened its doors to the public on October 7, 1991. The $100 million project was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and built by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Company. It is located at the southwest corner of Washington Boulevard and Lake Shore Drive (111th Street).
The Harold Washington Library Center replaced the Chicago Public Library's Central Branch, which had been destroyed by fire four years earlier. The new center was intended to provide more space for books and people. It features 10 stories, 100,000 square feet of floor space, and 50 parking spaces available for rent. The main entrance opens into a large plaza with trees, benches, and planters filled with flowers. A mural called "Passages" by artist Beverly Buchanan adorns one wall of the building's main hall. It depicts important moments in Illinois history as well as those of former U.S. presidents from Abraham Lincoln to George Bush III.
The Rushmore Memorial Library building was established in 1923 by the Rushmore family to provide the community with a public library. Mr. Rushmore was a well-known and affluent attorney who worked in New York City and resided in Woodbury; he was one of our earliest commuters. He lived between 1856 and 1930. His wife's name was Mary Mills Shull. They had three children: Vivian, John, and Katherine.
The library was designed by Charles L. Thompson, an acclaimed local architect. The building is located on Main Street in downtown Woodbury, right across from the town hall. It is a rectangular structure with a flat roof covered in terra cotta tiles. The walls are made of red brick with white accents. There are four floors above ground level and one floor below ground level. The basement contains the kitchen, laundry room, and storage area for books and materials. The first floor has the main entrance, circulation desk, office space for the librarian, meeting rooms, and a large gallery where visitors can view some of the works of art donated by the Rushmore family. The second floor consists of more office space, study areas, and a small theater/auditorium. The third floor is mostly storage space but also includes a dance studio, yoga room, playroom, and bathroom. The top floor is open air with no interior walls blocking views of the surrounding area. It contains a garden, patio, and water feature.
Denotes a presidential library without a presidential location...
|Library name||Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies at Monticello Opened to public 1994|
|Operated by||Thomas Jefferson Foundation|
On May 2, 1962, the formal dedication of the structure took place. When President Eisenhower died in March 1969, the library underwent a significant transformation. His funeral was carried live on radio and television networks from the grounds of the library. On that same day, the new library was officially opened by his daughter, Mrs. John D. Eisenhower.
The building was designed by Los Angeles architect William Pereira, who also designed the Ronald Reagan Library. It is considered one of the first true modern libraries, using lightweight materials and innovative design concepts to minimize its impact on the environment. The library features an underground garage for 50 cars, a public parking lot, and walk-up parking spaces for visitors.
In addition to serving as the home of Dwight David Eisenhower's personal papers, the library is also where researchers can find information about his life and career. The collection includes more than 8 million pages of documents, including letters, photographs, audio and video recordings, maps, and other material relating to Eisenhower's life and career.
The library is open daily except on Thanksgiving and Christmas days. It is located just south of Washington, D.C., across the street from Georgetown University. Guided tours of the facility are available daily at 10:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.