The Greek government initiated a repair initiative for the Acropolis monuments in the 1970s. As part of this project, all of the Parthenon's architectural sculptures were relocated to the Acropolis Museum, and all of the Parthenon sculptures are now museum artifacts. However, some minor works of art from the temple's interior did remain on site during this time.
After the Greek government abandoned its plan to restore the Parthenon to its original state, the institution that currently owns the site, the American Institute of Classical Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, mounted an exhibition called "The Art of the Parthenon" in 1979. This show included many of the sculptures that had been removed from the building over the years. It also featured drawings and photographs taken during the excavation efforts that revealed much about the temple's construction and decoration.
Since then, several more exhibitions have been held at the Parthenon. In 1984, a group of British sculptors created a collection of new works of art for placement inside the temple. These pieces were meant to replace some of the larger-scale sculptures that had been removed from the building earlier. And in 2001, an international team of architects led by Sir John Soane released a proposal for restoring the Parthenon to its original state. The team proposed removing all of the existing artwork from the temple and replacing it with new interpretations of the stories depicted in the sculpture groupings.
Today's Parthenon The Parthenon, along with the other structures on the Acropolis, is currently one of Greece's most visited archaeological monuments. With funds from the 2004 Olympic Games and UNESCO, the Greek Ministry of Culture launched a large repair effort that is currently ongoing. Some visitors may also notice changes to the appearance of the monument due to modifications made during its restoration.
The original Parthenon was built between 447 and 432 BC by the Athenian leader Pericles. It was designed by Ictinus and Callicrates, two early architects of Athens, who were also responsible for other major buildings in the city. The structure was originally painted red, but now is mostly white with blue accents. It stands 66 meters high and covers an area of about 5,000 square meters (54,500 sq ft). In 1678, a great fire destroyed almost the entire site, including the Parthenon itself. It was rebuilt within four years at a cost of about $1 million, which at that time was very much money. Today, the original materials used in the construction of the building have been replaced and it is now considered one of the finest examples of Greek neoclassical architecture.
After the French invasion of Greece in 1828, the British occupied Athens and they too tried to preserve the site but they only managed to save the Acropolis Museum.
Get ready to experience six amazing, large-scale copies of the Parthenon, from Regensburg's Walhalla to Nashville's Parthenon. Athens' Acropolis Parthenon was a temple dedicated to Athena Pallas. It was constructed as part of Pericles' building scheme that entirely changed the Acropolis in 447–432 BCE. The original is now a world-famous symbol of Ancient Greece and its culture. There are actually several versions of how many doors it had, but most estimate between 12 and 15.
The Nashville Parthenon was built in 1877 by Greek immigrants who wanted to show their respect for ancient Greece and its culture. It is located on Centennial Park across from City Hall. This version of the Parthenon has 16 columns instead of the usual 42. It also has two floors instead of one. The top floor contains a museum that displays costumes, weapons, and other artifacts from around the world that link them with Ancient Greece.
The city of Nashville claims to have the largest collection of Parthenons in the world. They are all different sizes because they were created using parts of the original structure that were preserved after the Athenian government destroyed it in the 4th century CE.
Nashville's Parthenon is not open to the public but you can go inside and take a look at it during regular business hours. You can also visit the Walhalla World Heritage Site near Regensburg where all six Parthenons are located.
The Acropolis of Athens is an ancient fortress perched on a rocky outcrop above the city of Athens. It has the remnants of numerous ancient monuments of great architectural and historical value, the most renowned of which is the Parthenon. The word "Acropolis" means "superb place". The Greek term refers to the high rock upon which the fortress was built.
The site was originally occupied by a timber fortification called Temenos (meaning "sacred space") that was established before 1250 B.C. By the time of Pericles, about 450 B.C., it had been greatly expanded into a stone fortress. This work was undertaken by the Athenian state with resources obtained from silver mines in the surrounding area. The fortress served as the capital of the independent city-state of Athens for more than two hundred years, from 464 B.C. to 405 B.C.; during this time, it was also used as a temple to Athena. The last ruler of Athens to live there was Cleomenes III, who seized power in 510 B.C. After his death, the fortress was destroyed by an allied army led by Sparta to prevent it from being used against them. The buildings were burned down and not restored until after 321 B.C., when Alexander the Great visited the site.
The ancient temple on the Acropolis may be seen from the north side of the Parthenon Hall. Because the museum is situated on a huge archaeological site, the floor, both inside and outdoors, is frequently transparent with glass, allowing visitors to see the excavations below.
The Parthenon is a magnificent marble temple erected during the height of the Greek Empire between 447 and 432 B.C. The Parthenon, dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, stands high atop the Acropolis of Athens, a complex of temples. The building is in the neoclassical style and features a large entrance front with six Ionic columns supporting an entablature and pediment. Above the entrance are carved sculptures by Phidias.
In 1687 the Ottoman Turks destroyed most of the structures on the Acropolis, including the Parthenon. In 1753 Pierre Desgraz, the architect who designed the new buildings surrounding the Acropolis, added a mock-Roman theater as a replacement for the former structure. This was done to demonstrate the antiquity of Athens and provide more space for festivals and events like the annual marathon race which is still held every April.
Since 1834 the main entrance to the Acropolis has been through the Propylaea, which leads into the Agora, a city square that dates back to ancient Greece. Here you will find many monuments dating back to various periods in Greek history, such as the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, and the Lyceum. Next to the Propylaea is the Museum of Contemporary Art, which contains works by some of the most important artists from around the world.