The site also includes the Louis Arriandeaux Log House, a double log house in the dogtrot style that is the oldest structure in Iowa. The cabin was erected in 1833 on 2nd and Locust Streets in Dubuque, then transferred to Eagle Point Park before being relocated to the Mathias Ham House Historic Site. It is believed to be one of only two remaining dogtrot houses in Iowa.
The park also contains the Mathias Ham House, which is an Italianate villa built by Louis' son Martin in 1865. The house remained in the family until 1969 when it was donated to the city of Dubuque for use as a museum. It is now open to the public free of charge.
Louis Arrindeles was born in 1790 in New York State. He came to Dubuque with his wife Angeline in 1833. They were the first white people known to have come to Dubuque County. Louis became one of the most successful merchants in Dubuque during its early years. He sold goods at this market every week until 1836 when he went into business for himself. In 1841, he married Angeline's sister Mary who was also from New York State. She had come to Dubuque to live with her aunt after her father died. Together, Louis and Mary had eight children.
Neighbourhoods with a History On Canada Company Lot 1, John Oliver erected the first known private residence, a log cabin. A basic wood-framed home at 81 Farquahar Street is the oldest surviving dwelling in Guelph's oldest residential zone. It was built around 1820 by John Oliver, a prominent figure in the history of Waterloo County.
The neighbourhood of College Hill was originally part of town land donated to establish Wellington and Victoria Colleges in 1829 by the then Lieutenant Governor, Sir John Colborne. The colleges were designed by George Gordon Meinke, who also designed nearby Trinity College (now University of Guelph). They were meant to serve as alternatives to the grammar schools established throughout England at this time. Both colleges opened their doors in 1831; however, only Victoria School remained open until 1846 when it closed due to lack of students. The land that made up both colleges was sold off to pay off debts from the college's construction.
In 1832, a group of local businessmen formed the Town of Guelph with William Lyon Mackenzie as its mayor. The town council decided to raise funds to build a prison on land owned by them near where the college now stands. The prison, which opened in 1834, became known as the Guelph Jail; it still stands today and is used by police departments across Ontario for drug rehabilitation programs.
Dubuque Dubuque is the oldest city in Iowa and one of the earliest settlements west of the Mississippi. Julien Dubuque, a French-Canadian fur trader, was the area's first permanent inhabitant. When he arrived in 1785, the Mesquakie (Fox) Indians populated the area, which had a plethora of lead mines. In 1824, the first railroad was built in Iowa, which connected Dubuque to Illinois.
Davenport Davenport is located on the east bank of the Mississippi River, opposite downtown St. Louis. It is served by two airports: Eastern Iowa Community College's Scott Airfield and Davenport Municipal Airport. The former has scheduled airline service from Midwest Airlines and the latter has daily flights with Delta Connection. Davenport was founded in 1844 by John A. Davenport, who brought his family to America after their home town was destroyed by fire. They settled in the new town on the banks of the Mississippi River, which at that time was not an obstacle to be crossed but rather a resource that could be used. The city grew rapidly due to its central location between Chicago and St. Louis. In addition to shipping goods by river, Davenport became an important hub for the rail transportation system. In 1871, the first electric lights were installed along the riverfront. In 1872, the first telephone number in the state was dialed from Davenport: 515-55-56.
Wright, Frank Lloyd Stockman House & Interpretive Center is a historic house and interpretive center in Stockton, California The Stockman Residence, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1908, is Iowa's first Prairie School-style house. Its open floor plan influenced the design of the modern American house. The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1992.
Wright developed his own version of the American farmhouse during his years in Chicago. He called it the "American Farmstead" and it is clearly visible in many of his early designs. Like much of what Wright created he used natural materials such as wood, stone, and earth to create structures that were functional and comfortable for their occupants.
The Stockman Residence is one of only six homes still standing from when Wright first came to Oak Park, Illinois. It is now owned and operated by the University of Chicago as its home and office building. The university acquired the property in 1975 through the generosity of Mrs. Charles H. Stockman who died without children. She left all her estate gifts to the university with instructions that they be used to support academic activities that would benefit humanity at large. The residence is used primarily for educational purposes related to architecture and planning. It is also available for events such as weddings and lectures.
Wright's work has been influential in designing many buildings across the United States.
2127 Broadway, Herrick-Logli Cobblestone House It is one of the oldest surviving structures in Rockford and one of just a few surviving cobblestone homes in Illinois. It was built in 1847 in the Greek Revival style. This style of building began in New York when a significant number of British masons arrived to build the Erie Canal. They brought this style of building with them when they moved to Chicago, which is why so many Greek Revival buildings are found there today. The house belonged to William Herrick and his wife Mary Logli. They were immigrants from Germany who had come to Illinois looking for economic opportunity. Herrick was a carpenter by trade. He built his home for himself and his family of five children.
Rockford has one of the largest populations of German immigrants anywhere in America. Many of them came directly from Europe, including Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. They wanted to start new lives in the United States and earn enough money to support themselves and their families. Unfortunately, not everyone who came over on the ship that landed in Lake Michigan made it safely to America. In fact, the mortality rate for these early voyages was very high. Only those who couldn't be saved were buried at sea. However, after some time, bodies were believed to be being taken ashore where they were buried in mass graves. For example, there is a site near Kent County, Delaware where dozens of these grave sites have been found.
Barkley Residence The Barkley House, built in 1825 and located on Pensacola Bay, is the city's earliest surviving example of a high-house. High houses were private mansions built on stilts for ventilation and views.
They became popular among the wealthy after the American Revolution when low country buildings were being destroyed by hurricanes. Before then, only temporary shelter was available at camp sites or aboard ships. High houses provided protection from wind and water damage while offering views of the bay and its islands.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Today, it operates as a museum owned by the city of Pensacola. Admission is free but donations are accepted.
The house is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm except Christmas Day. Closed Thanksgiving and New Year's Days.
A self-guided tour takes about an hour. Free parking is available in the municipal garage a few blocks away.
There are also bus tours that leave from downtown at 11:00 am and 2:30 pm Monday through Saturday throughout the year (except during hurricane season). The cost is $15 for adults, $5 for children under 12. Children under five are free.