Chartres Cathedral in Chartres, France, houses the Rose and Lancet windows. The Gothic-style windows were erected to the cathedral between 1230 and 1235. The stained glass windows at the church's north transept are constructed of glass that has been stained to produce a magnificent visual impression. The windows depict stories from the life of Christ and are filled with images and symbols reflecting medieval beliefs about salvation.
The name "rose" when applied to a window refers to the pattern of red, white, and blue flowers arranged in circles that can be seen inside the central panel of the Chartres Window. This icon represents the Holy Spirit and is found in many churches and buildings across Europe.
Lancets are small windows placed within larger windows or openings. They allow light into darkened areas of a building while still providing privacy for those inside a room. There are three lancet windows on the south side of the nave: one over the entrance and two more above them. These windows date from around 1350 and show scenes from the Life of Christ.
The term "rose window" was first used by Lord Burlington to describe the great window he had installed in the chapel of Hampton Court Palace, England (18th century). It is estimated that there are about 150 rose windows in Britain and others have been built since then.
The rose window expanded throughout Europe early in its development. There are examples in Italy (S. Zeno Maggiore in Verona, the cathedral of Carrara), Spain (Burgos cathedral), England (Lincoln cathedral), and Germany and central Europe. It is possible that some of the windows at Trinity Church in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, may be by Boucicaut or another French artist.
The term "rose window" comes from the fact that these windows were often made up of hundreds of individual roses that were painted by different artists. The best-known example is probably the Rose Window at Strasbourg Cathedral, created by Hans Holbein the Younger in 1538.
It is estimated that it cost around 60,000 gold coins at the time to build this window. This makes it one of the most expensive windows in history!
Strasbourg Cathedral is a famous church in Strasbourg, Alsace, France. It was built between 1826 and 1866 by German and French architects following the design of Jean Chalgrin. In terms of style, it combines Gothic and Neoclassical elements. The exterior is covered with sandstone while the interior is mainly made of limestone. It has been described as the greatest achievement in glass artistry during the late 18th century. The 11m high window at the center of the dome is known as the "Dome of Hope".
The huge circular stained glass windows seen in Gothic churches are known as rose windows. They were inspired by the oculus, a tiny, spherical window used in ancient Roman construction. The word "rose" in English may also be used to describe any small, circular window.
The term "rose window" first appeared in the 13th century when stained glass artists began to use it to describe one of several large windows they would have shipped with their merchandise. These windows would have been sold separately from the stained glass panels that made up the rest of the church window. The merchant who bought the window would then install it in his church as a symbol of his wealth and status. Today, these windows can still be found in European churches but not as frequently as many older buildings contain them.
Rose windows usually depict scenes from the Bible. However, they also often include other subjects such as history or art. They tend to be very colorful and detailed with many different shapes and styles of glass. Each section is hand-made by a skilled craftsman using mostly flat pieces of glass called "panes." The panes are arranged in horizontal rows called "lanes," which are then placed within vertical frames called "staves." When all of the lanes and staves are put together, they form the image or scene you see today.
Chartres Cathedral, which was built in 1220, contains some of the most famous stained glass windows. Chartres exhibited the force that stained glass windows might wield more effectively than its predecessors, thanks to architectural improvements. The new style made space for large windows that could illuminate the interior of the church on a bright summer day.
They were used as luminaries in the nave and transepts at night, too. If you visit the cathedral today, you can see how brightly they still glow after hundreds of years!
Stained glass is made up of small pieces of colored glass called "panes" inserted into thin leaded strips called "slabs." These are arranged in geometric patterns called "trees" or "designs." The trees are then inserted into open frames (called "bull's-eyes") located above each window. When sunlight enters through the opening of the frame, it passes through the glass and is reflected back into the room where it bulbs out against a white background, giving the impression of natural light.
People began making stained glass windows during the 11th century in Europe. The technique was improved upon over time, but it was not until the 13th century that it became popular again. By this time, stained glass was used not only to decorate churches, but also as an educational tool.
The west rose window is located in the front of the church. It is the oldest of the three, having been erected in 1125, albeit none of the original glass survives in the frame today. The south rose window is located on the building's right side. It dates from 1250 and its original glass also no longer exists.
The north rose window is by far the largest and most beautiful of the three. It was built at the same time as the south rose window but replaced an earlier one that had been destroyed by fire. The new window depicts Christ in Majesty with angels flying before him in a rainbow of colors. This window too has not survived in its original form; only its framework remains today. But even this wasn't always there! Before the present structure was built, there was just a plain wall where now stands the magnificent nave.
Christ Church Cathedral is one of the few English cathedrals to have lost no part of its original architecture. It contains some of the finest examples of Gothic sculpture in Britain. The earliest surviving parts of the cathedral date back to about 1180 but major rebuilding work was carried out after a serious fire in 1284. The next major restoration took place in 1532 when all the furniture, ornaments, and paintings were removed and stored for safekeeping during the English invasion of France. They weren't returned to England until 1631 after which time further repairs were needed.
In Gothic architecture, a rose window, also known as a wheel window, is a decorative circular window that is typically glazed with stained glass. During the Romanesque period, there were scattered examples of ornamented circular windows (Santa Maria in Pomposa, Italy, 10th century). But they were not widely used until much later in the Gothic era.
The term "rose window" comes from the ancient belief that roses had 12 petals. In fact, the word "petal" comes from the Latin for "feather", because during the medieval era, diamonds were believed to have 6 sides and it was thought that roses had 12.
The use of circular windows in churches dates back to at least 400 AD but they weren't always called "roses". The earliest examples are called "domelets" or "shells" because they were shaped like small shells or cups without any real design inside them. These were used primarily for lighting purposes since they could be placed in any part of the church where light was needed.
Around 600 AD, some new types of windows started appearing in churches. They were called "lucarnes" which means "fire lights". These were large windows with colored glass designed to illuminate the interior of the church on important occasions such as Christmas and Easter.