The White House President's Park in Washington, D.C., contains the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, the Treasury Building, and grounds; the White House Visitor Center; Lafayette Square; and The Ellipse. Lafayette Square was once known as President's Park. It was developed by Pierre L'Enfant for the government of the new city he designed for President George Washington. The park was open to the public until 1879, when it was closed due to a tuberculosis epidemic that had killed several people who were infected with the disease.
The White House Visitor Center is located on the first floor of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Opened in 2004, this center offers a view of the White House Kitchen Garden, which serves as a demonstration garden featuring vegetables grown for the White House kitchen. The center also includes an exhibit gallery highlighting U.S. presidents' lives outside of politics.
The Treasury Building is one of the few remaining grand federal buildings from before the Great Depression. It was built in 1908-1909 for $7 million ($90 million in today's dollars) by Paul J. Pelz & Associates. The firm was hired back in 1994 by the General Services Administration to restore and maintain the building which had become vacant after being abandoned by the Internal Revenue Service for more than 10 years.
The building is named after its principal tenant during most of its history: the U.S. Treasury Department.
The Oval Office The White House is located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., which is maybe the most renowned address in the country. President George Washington, empowered by the Residence Act of 1790, determined the specific location for the 10-square-mile capital, on the Potomac River's east bank and near the Capitol building. He wanted a house that was accessible by carriage or horseback and close to government offices and museums.
It took several years and many design changes before Washington settled on a final version of his "federal town" home. The first draft was called a "townhouse" because it had rooms but no interior walls. It was an open concept design with 12-foot-high ceilings and doors that opened onto large verandas. There were also no fireplaces in the rooms; instead there were chimneys for burning coal. In addition, there were no closets, just dressers where people could put their clothes.
The second revision included more wall space and larger windows, allowing in more light. It also had two floors instead of one, which was more convenient for entertaining. The third revision was designed by Thomas Jefferson and its features include blue and white stripes on the exterior and interior, respectively. It was built between 1815 and 1820 and is now the president's office.
The fourth revision was also designed by Jefferson and constructed between 1826 and 1828. It has green and white stripes on the exterior and interior, respectively.
Washington, D.C. The Ellipse (also known as President's Park South) is a 52-acre (21 ha) park in Washington, D.C., located south of the White House gate and north of Constitution Avenue and the National Mall. The Ellipse is also the name of the park's five-furlong (1.0 km) perimeter boulevard.
The Ellipse was created by clearing trees from an area of wooded federal land that was formerly part of Fort McNair. The land was given to the city of Washington as a public park in 1891.
Today, the Ellipse is surrounded by monuments and memorials to those who have served or are currently serving our country: the Lincoln Memorial, which faces the National Mall; the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, which faces the Ellipse; and the George Washington Memorial, which faces the White House.
It is a popular spot for sunbathing, walking, running, and biking. In fact, according to the National Park Service, more than 20 million people visit the Ellipse each year. That makes it the most visited national park in the United States.
The National Mall, which runs through the center of Washington, D.C., is one of the world's greatest streetscapes. It is a wide avenue with tree-lined paths, sculptures, and other attractions. The Ellipse is located on the south side of the mall, between 15th and 14th Streets.
The location of the East Room on the White House State Floor. The East Room is a reception and event space at the White House, the official residence of the President of the United States. It is used for state dinners and other important events. It is a large room with a domed ceiling that was built as a greenhouse. The East Room is located on the second floor of the White House, next to the Blue Room.
The East Room was first called the Yellow Room because of its original decor. In 1901, President William McKinley was assassinated in this room by anarchist Leon Czolgosz. The room has been variously painted since then, but it always returns to its yellow color scheme for important events.
In 2001, after the September 11 attacks, President George W. Bush visited the East Room before heading over to Capitol Hill. He said that "America's mission is not complete until all our children can be born healthy and safe, and no baby ever needs to die in the womb."
Since then, the room has been called the Baby Action Center after the name given to it by then-first lady Laura Bush. She wanted the room to be known as a place where parents could go for information and support after their babies had been diagnosed with disabilities.