It is located in the 5th arrondissement's Latin Quarter, widely known as the student neighborhood. This is Paris's oldest home, built in 1407, although it hasn't always had the same address—the street's current name derives from the powerful Montmorency family and was adopted in 1768. The house was owned by various wealthy merchants until 1793, when it was confiscated by the government of the French Revolution and given to the poor students of the university. It has since been restored several times.
Now a public museum, you can see many of its original features including a wooden ceiling decorated with painted beams and a stone floor covered in wide strips of wood called "parquet". There are also some beautiful paintings by French artists dating back to the 16th century.
The House Museum has six rooms that trace about 300 years of history through furniture, documents, and objects that tell stories such as industrialization, political upheaval, and scientific advancement.
People come from all over the world to visit this house because it is one of the most important examples of early modern architecture in Europe. It has been listed as a World Heritage Site since 1979.
This house is also famous for being the setting of some novels by Albert Camus, most notably "L'Etranger" (1955) and "Le Mythe de l'Esprit Positif" (1947).
The ancient Pont Notre-Dame (1507-12), created by the Italian architect Fra Giocondo, was the first construction in Paris in the new style. It was the earliest example of Renaissance urbanization, with 68 elegantly crafted dwellings lining it. King Francis I commissioned the next project, a new Hotel de Ville, or city hall, for the city. That building, now called the Palais de l'Hôtel de Ville, was completed in 1545 by Jules Hardouin-Mansart. In between, Louis XII built a small bridge across the Seine near here as part of his plans to transform Paris into a magnificent capital city. The last project before World War II was the large apartment building at 5 Rue des Ecoles, designed by Henri Sauvage and built in 1937. Its sleek lines still stand out on the street.
Notre Dame is one of France's most famous churches and has been described as the most beautiful cathedral in the world. It was built over several centuries after 1230 by various French architects including Michel Beaupeuple, Germain Boffrand, and Jean Chalcondyles. The current structure dates back to 1163 but was completely rebuilt after a fire in 1248. Inside the church you can see many treasures including a crowning glory: the golden heart from the shrine of Notre Dame de Paris. This sacred object contains a piece of bone said to be from the skull of Christ. It was originally found in a vase in a Paris church in 384 AD.
Maison Francois-Jacquet-Dit-Langevin, built in the late 17th century, is one of Quebec's oldest houses. It was also one of the earliest private mansions in Quebec City's Upper Town. Today, it is a museum devoted to the history of New France and the early French settlers.
The original house was built by François Ditkenausen, who came to Quebec with Samuel de Champlain in 1608. After his death, Marie D'Anjou married into the family. She was the mother of Louis XIV of France. When she died in 1670, her son married Elizabeth Charlotte of Spain. They had two children who survived to adulthood: Charles II of England and Scotland and Louis XV of France. The latter married Marie Leszczynsky in 1683. She was a princess of Poland and a great-great-grandmother of Queen Victoria.
After several changes of ownership, the mansion was acquired by the Langevin family in 1845. They were wealthy merchants who helped develop Quebec City's waterfront area. During their tenure, the mansion was expanded with a neo-classical front facing onto Place d'Youville. This addition is where the museum is now located.
The house has been listed as a historic site since 1978. It is now operated by the Quebec Department of Culture and Heritage as a historic house museum.