Another historic structure in Richmondtown on Staten Island is the Britton Cottage, previously the Cubberly House. The oldest component of the house, the central section, was erected in 1670, with two expansions added around 1760. Before 1840, a lean-to was constructed. The house remained in the hands of the same family for three generations.
The cubberly house is significant as one of the first houses built after the original purchase of the land from the Dutch by Henry Hudson in 1645. It is believed that the cubberly family were early settlers of the area now known as Richmond Township. The house has been preserved nearly in its original state due to being used as a local school until 1968 when it was acquired by the Staten Island Historical Society.
The cubberly house is now open to the public as an exhibit called "Time Out For History".
It's free and open to the public daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except for Thanksgiving and Christmas days when it is closed.
There is also a small museum located next to the house which features changing exhibits about the history of Richmond Township and Staten Island.
The cubberly house can be reached by taking New York City Transit to the South Beach station and walking south on Sterling Place or Richmond Terrace for approximately 1 mile.
When the English conquered the city for the King of England in 1664, they renamed the island after the Duke of Richmond, King Charles II's son. Staten Island had a population of 1,063 by the end of the 17th century. The first census taken after New York City was founded showed that its population was only about 1,500 people.
The borough has been home to many important events in American history. During the Revolutionary War, the British used Fort Richmond on the southern tip of the island as a prison camp for soldiers accused of crimes against the Empire. In 1777, after the war ended, those prisoners who were still alive were granted amnesty by the new government and allowed to leave the colony. The fort today is just one of several sites on the island that are included in a national historic park called Huguenot Memorial Park.
In 1872, the New York City Subway began service to Staten Island. The first line opened from Brooklyn to Coney Island, and it was known as the Brooklyn-Coney Island Line until 1979 when it was renamed in honor of its two original contractors, John A. DeWitt and Thomas O'Brien. The second line went from Coney Island to West Brighton, and it was also named for its contractors, Richard Nickel and William Morris.
Large Victorian mansions in the Saint George Historic District, as well as the Staten Island Yankees Stadium and the zoo, may be found inside the area. Conference House Park is located on the island's southern tip. It is the location of a building remnant where peace discussions were previously held during the Revolutionary War.
This property is situated at 10 Kathy Place # 2 Staten Island, NY 10314 US and has been listed on Homes.com since June 9th, 2021 for $2,250. This property was constructed in 2021.
There are three bedrooms, one bathroom, a living room, a dining room, and a balcony. Freshly painted The carpet in the bedroom will be put prior to moving in. Walk to Victory BLVD, where there are several businesses and banks. The S62 and S92 buses take you to the Staten Island Ferry, while the S93 bus takes you to Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. There's plenty of street parking! Tenants are liable for utilities such as gas, heat, hot water, and electricity.
The Wyckoff House, also known as the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House, is a historic house located at 5816 Clarendon Road in Brooklyn, New York. Milton Fidler Park contains the home. It is built on property acquired from the indigenous Lenape people by Wouter van Twiller around 1636. The house was originally located about north of its present location near what is now Fort Greene Park but was moved here in 1872.
It is a two-story, five bay wide frame dwelling with a gable roof and exterior finished in wooden clapboards. The front facade features a three-bay entrance pavilion with Doric order columns and an entablature. A one-story porch extends across the front and both sides of the house. Inside are fine examples of Victorian decorative woodwork.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
New York, New York 11207 Welcome to this 1920s historic "Brooklyn Style Rowhouse" in the center of trendy and edgy Bushwick. This home has a lot of character and the ability to accept today's modern living ideals, thanks to its abundance of original characteristics. The house was built by do-it-yourselfers who didn't spend a fortune but rather made do with what they had - which included some beautiful woodwork that is now very well preserved despite being used relatively little over the years.
This house offers excellent value for money in an extremely convenient location just minutes from many of Brooklyn's most popular attractions. It's also close to public transportation, with several bus stops within easy walking distance and the L train just across the street. There's also a grocery store around the corner if you need supplies.
The house has two bedrooms and one bathroom upstairs while downstairs there's a large open floor plan with a kitchen, dining room, and living room all on one level. Outside, you'll find a small backyard with parking for two cars directly behind the house. A third spot can be found in the driveway if needed.
This home is perfect for a single person who wants to save money but still have a comfortable place to live. It's also great for young couples or families with small children because there's plenty of space for everyone to feel comfortable.