The historic Parliament House The Old Parliament House, currently known as The Arts House, is Singapore's most historic colonial edifice. G.D. Coleman planned and erected the original structure in 1826 as a neo-Palladian house. The British architect also designed Fort Canning Park, which surrounds The Old Parliament House.
Coleman's design was influenced by the great English architects Robert and James Adam. The first version of the house was built within three years after it was commissioned, but it wasn't until 1841 that it was finally completed. It has been called Singapore's most important architectural work since its completion because of its impact on later buildings in Singapore. The Old Parliament House remains an iconic part of Singapore's landscape today.
Its construction involved clearing away parts of the city's central business district to make way for it. The old houses and shops were relocated to other areas of the city. Although the building is now used primarily for cultural events, it still serves as the meeting place of the Singapore Parliament. The current Parliament session is expected to be its last.
It has been listed as a national monument by the government of Singapore.
It is believed that some parts of the building were originally built as a townhouse for Thomas Stamford Raffles, the man who brought Britain to Singapore. However, there are no conclusive proofs of this hypothesis.
Houses in Post-Medieval England The Henry Whitfield House in Guilford is Connecticut's oldest surviving house, albeit it is not typical of the other buildings that remained from the seventeenth century: it is constructed of stone and has been considerably remodeled throughout the years. The first documentary evidence of its existence dates to 1639 when it was built by Henry Whitfield, who had come to Connecticut with Governor John Winthrop. The house was later inherited by Henry's son James, who then bequeathed it to his daughter Elizabeth Whitfield Rice. She in turn willed it to her husband William Rice, a wealthy merchant. The couple lived in the house until their deaths, and it has since been preserved as a museum.
Other notable houses from this era include: The Burroughs Mansion in Hartford (1672), The Jonathan Lawler House in Windsor (1679), The Isaac Davis House in Windsor (1680), and The Richard Hutchins House in Salisbury (1700).
House museums are accessible through most towns in Connecticut, especially those with significant colonial histories such as New London, Norwich, and Greenwich. They usually contain many original features including furniture, artwork, and even full-scale re-creations of rooms from the past.
Colonial homes remain important today because they reflect the history and culture of Connecticut, as well as provide visitors with an understanding of how people lived back then.
Singapore's modern architecture began with the transitional Art Deco style and the introduction of reinforced concrete as a prominent building material. The design principles behind these structures were functionalism and efficiency, with an emphasis on technology.
Art Deco is a highly decorative style that emerged in the late 1920s and early 1930s. It has been described as "the first international style" since it was adopted throughout Europe and North America. The defining characteristics of Art Deco are its geometric designs and stylized elements such as palm trees and swan boats. Singapore's early buildings exhibit many Art Deco features including sleek lines, large windows, and decorative molding.
After World War II, Singapore developed its own unique style which combines traditional Chinese and Southeast Asian features with American industrial styles. This eclectic style can be seen in many public buildings across Singapore. The National Museum was built in this style in 1965-69 and is considered one of Asia's most innovative museums for its use of space and display techniques.
Other important buildings from this era include the International Chamber of Commerce headquarters (1966), the old Supreme Court building (1972), and the new Supreme Court building (1989).
The modern architectural style arrived in Singapore around 1960.
The Historic Courthouse The Old Court House, located in Stirling Gardens, is Perth's oldest intact standing edifice. It was built between 1842 and 1845 to a design by Henry Youngman.
The Old Court House is now used for public events and art exhibitions. It was listed on the State Register of Heritage Places in 1976 and on the Commonwealth List of Historic Sites in 1986.
After the courthouse was completed, Governor John Hutt (then Lieutenant-Governor) paid a visit to the site and was said to have been greatly pleased with it. He declared that "this building will be worthy of the colony and its future government".
The old court house was the first permanent structure built in what would become the capital city of Western Australia. It was also the first brick building in the state outside towns and settlements along the navigable waters of the Swan River.
It remains an important early example of colonial architecture in Perth and is considered important for its historical association with the introduction of free labour as well as bricks and stone to the fledgling colony.
The old court house was the venue for some of the most significant events in the history of Western Australia: executions, trials, and hearings.
Fawkner Mansions in St. Kilda, Melbourne, is considered to be the oldest surviving apartment complex, having been completed in 1910. The Melbourne Mansions on Collins Street were constructed in 1906 but have since been demolished. Both apartment buildings were designed for the elite and had elevators and a concierge. They are also among the first apartments to have toilets inside each unit.
Another old apartment building in Melbourne is Montpelier Tower. It was built in 1877 and stands 28 floors high. Today, it houses luxury apartments over 3 levels with prices starting from $500,000.
Oldest apartments in Australia: Fawkner Mansions and Melbourne Mansions.