The British commissioned the design of the government buildings to Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker. In homage of the architect, this region would also be known as "Lutyens' Delhi."
They are so beautiful that even today when people visit Delhi they get to see these buildings. These buildings have been recently restored but still retain much of their original beauty.
Lutyens was a famous artist and writer who had also worked with the British government on other projects. He designed many buildings in England and other parts of the world too. This region in Delhi is one of his most renowned works.
Herbert Baker was a British architect who worked with Lutyens on several projects including New Delhi. He designed many churches, schools, and other religious buildings throughout Britain and other countries where Lutyens had worked before.
Delhi's President's Palace was also designed by Lutyens but it wasn't finished until after his death in 1944. Still, this building is also regarded as one of his greatest works because it reflects the traditional Indian style of architecture which isn't visible in New Delhi.
After World War II, construction continued on Lutyens' designs. His son Eric became the chief architect of India while working under his father on various projects.
The architect, Edwin Lutyens, was born in 1865. He designed many landmarks across the world, including New York's Upper East Side and London's Regent's Park.
Lutyens developed his own style of architecture that was inspired by Mughal gardens and included large open spaces, with straight lines and geometric designs.
He worked on his first project at age 21 and never looked back. One year later, he received his first commission from a British company that wanted him to design housing for employees working at the new Delhi railway station. The project took him five years to complete.
What is so special about Lutyens' work? He used traditional Indian materials such as stone and wood, but added features such as air conditioning and bathrooms with showers. His buildings are still standing today after almost a century; only minor modifications have been made to them.
Delhi Gate was one of the first buildings designed by Lutyens and it was also his first major commission in India. It was completed in 1931. At the time, it was a revolutionary idea for a railway station to have a building attached to it.
It was created in 1912-1913 by British architects Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker. They designed it to provide a free, open air meeting place for the new Parliament of India. It is located near the Indian Gate entrance to the Parliament House grounds.
Lutyens was born in 1869 in St. Pancras, London. He was educated at St. Paul's School and then studied architecture at the Royal Academy of Arts. In 1895 he came to India as an assistant architect with a firm that built government buildings in Calcutta. Three years later, he started his own practice in Delhi.
In 1900, he was invited by the viceroy of India to design a royal residence near Delhi. The project turned out to be another government building but it was commissioned by the queen mother of India so it could serve as a museum and library. This is the first of several government projects that Lutyens would go on to complete in India.
In 1907, he was again called upon by the viceroy to design a new capital for India. The site chosen for the new city was near Delhi; it was called New Delhi.
The British were resolved to relocate India's capital from Calcutta (Kolkata) to Delhi in 1911, and a three-member committee was created to design the construction of the new administrative center. Sir Edwin Lutyens was the committee's main architect; it was he who shaped the city. The other members of the committee were John R. Billings and Henry G. Blesse.
Delhi was designed to be a modern city with wide streets and gardens, as well as housing for almost seven hundred thousand people. It was also intended to have public facilities such as hospitals, schools, and libraries. The British hoped these plans would make Delhi a more appealing destination for Indians to live in. They also thought the city would help control crime and violence within the country through its presence on all major roads.
Delhi was built in phases over several years. The first phase consisted of about twelve square miles for which Lutyens prepared detailed plans that took into account the needs of a growing metropolis. This included residential areas for bureaucrats and their families, along with commercial districts for businesses to sell their products to Delhi's newly arrived immigrants.
Lutyens also planned two large parks - one at each end of the city - for recreational activities. He wanted both areas to be beautiful places where people could go to escape the heat and dirt of Delhi during winter months or when it rained too much or too hard.
History. Originally known as the House of Commons, it was created in 1912-1913 by British architects Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker for New Delhi. Construction began in 1921 and was completed in 1927. Lord Byron performed the inauguration ceremony of Parliament House, then known as the Central Legislative Assembly, on January 18, 1927. The first session was held that same day with King George V in attendance.
Lutyens was a renowned English architect who is best known for his red brick buildings including the Houses of Parliament in London and New York's Guggenheim Museum. He also designed India's first national museum at New Delhi. Baker was his assistant during his stay in India and later became an independent architect who worked in New Delhi until his death in 1944.
Characteristics. Parliament House is a massive structure made up of three parts: the central portion, or legislative chamber; the north and south wings; and a small garden in front. The interior of the building is decorated in British Empire styles with Indian elements added later. It has been called "the most beautiful parliament in the world" because of its elegant design and high quality materials.
The central portion is a huge rectangle with a total area of about 64,000 square feet (6200 m²). There are four doors leading into it: one main entrance on the east facade and three smaller ones on the west facade. Each door has large wooden doors with glass panels and can be opened by visitors.