William Winde and John Nash Blore, Edward Webb, Aston Buckingham Palace/Architects: Thomas Cubitt, George Edmund Street.
Buckingham Palace is a landmark building located in London, England. It is the largest single-building estate in the world. The palace occupies more than 17 acres (7 hectares) of land within the City of Westminster. Built between 1827 and 1838 to house the reigning monarch's family and retainers, it is also the oldest royal residence in continuous use by the monarchy.
The site was originally part of a farm called Buck House that had been in existence since 1525. In 1765, it was acquired by Charles Middleton, who developed it into a fashionable suburb of London called Whitehall. In 1821, the middle portion of the farm was sold to finance the construction of Buckingham Palace. The new king, William IV, moved into the newly completed palace on his accession in 1837.
In 1851, after nearly 100 years as the home of a single family, the site was acquired by the government for £750,000 ($12 million). It was decided not to rebuild on the same scale as before because of the high cost of construction and the need to reduce debt.
Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen and the Prime Minister. It is located on The Mall, between St James's Park and the River Thames.
The current building was constructed in 1837-1842 as a home for Prince Albert who had been king's consort since 1837. It replaced an earlier palace built by George II in 1754. This first Buckingham Palace was also on The Mall but it was a simple two-story structure with white walls and a green copper roof. It was destroyed by fire in 1839.
After Prince Albert's death, Queen Victoria moved into the new palace. The old one was then used as government offices until it was given to the Royal Family in 1850. It remains today part of the estate of the Crown and is open to the public.
Buckingham Palace is known around the world because of its extensive art collection and the role it plays in awarding British medals. It is also the place where British governments conduct their business during times of crisis.
The building is protected under United Kingdom law as both a museum and a working office.
Buckingham House was transformed into a palace in the 1820s by architect John Nash, who was commissioned by George IV. When Queen Victoria came there in 1837, she was the first British monarch to utilize the palace as an official home. She liked to call it "our house."
In 1851, King William IV died in Prince of Wales's Hospital next to Buckingham Palace, and Queen Victoria ordered that he be given a state funeral. The body was taken in a procession through London to St. Paul's Cathedral, where a service was held before it was buried at Windsor Castle.
During World War II, parts of the palace were used as a hospital for wounded soldiers. After the war, Buckingham Palace became the headquarters of the Royal Household Department until its relocation to 10 Downing Street in 1750. The office of Lord High Almoner was also located there until 1628 when it moved to Whitehall Palace.
Buckingham Palace has been used as a residence for several members of the royal family including King Edward VIII and the present queen, Elizabeth II.
It is not known who originally built the palace or what its purpose was. Some historians believe it may have been built as a place of refuge during times of danger for kings who were trying to escape from their enemies.
Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli Stasov, Vasily Brullov, Alexander Andrei Danilowitsch, Gotman Winter Palace/Architects, Aleksandr Shtaubert Artistic School/Designers, Ivan Starov Architectural School/Engineers, Nikolai Yakimov Civil Engineering School/Inspectors General of Building Activities
The Winter Palace was designed by three architects: Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli, Vasily Bazhenov and Alexey Fomin. The original design was done by Rastrelli, but after his death in 1731, it was completed by Bazhenov and then finally finished by Fomin. The palace is considered one of the most beautiful buildings in Saint Petersburg!
After the October Revolution, the building became the headquarters of the Communist Party of Russia. In 1922, the palace became the seat of the Russian government under the leadership of Vladimir Lenin and later Joseph Stalin. After Stalin's death in 1953, the palace was officially renamed the "Zavidovo Kremlin Palace" in honor of Karl Yegorovich Zavidovsky, a Soviet statesman who had been killed in an airplane crash earlier that year.