A clock and tower were incorporated in designs developed by principal architect Charles Barry for the construction of the new Houses of Parliament ten years later. The striking clock tower was designed by Augustus Pugin for Barry. Pugin specialized in projects in the Gothic Revival architectural style. He also designed St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, and several other churches.
Barry's original design was an eclectic mix of French Renaissance, Gothic, and Neoclassical styles. However, it required a vast amount of money to complete and he died before construction began. His son, John Barry, continued the work but added more Neo-Gothic features including towers, windows, and spires. The final product is considered one of England's most beautiful buildings.
The new Palace of Westminster was built after World War I when Britain went through a period of financial hardship. It was not expected to be a long-term structure as governments often change office locations. But, it has been used continuously since its completion in the late 1920s. A major renovation project started in 2004 and is expected to last until at least 2020.
Charles Barry is regarded as one of the leading architects of his time. He published a book in 1845 entitled _A Complete View of Architecture_ in which he proposed a new system for the classification of buildings. This system is still in use today.
The Perpendicular Gothic style, prominent in the 15th century and revived during the Gothic revival of the 19th century, is used in Sir Charles Barry's joint design for the Palace of Westminster. Although Barry was a classical architect, he was assisted by Gothic architect Augustus Pugin. The resulting building is an eclectic mix of styles, but has been described as one of the first true hybrids in architecture.
Parliament decided to appoint Barry to design their new palace. When William Pitt the Younger became prime minister in 1783, he asked Barry to replace the old house on the site, which had been built more than 500 years earlier. Work began that year and was completed ten years later at a cost of £1.5 million ($3.5 million today).
The new palace was an immediate success. It was praised for its beauty and elegance, and also because it fulfilled a need: there was no suitable home for the government offices required by the growing needs of the British state. Within decades, it would become the most famous architectural work in Britain and inspire people all over the world with its modern take on Gothic architecture.
So yes, the Houses of Parliament are Gothic, even though they have many other styles incorporated into their design.
Big Ben is a well-known clock tower in London, located at the north end of Westminster Palace. It was finished in 1859. Charles Barry was the architect in charge of the building's design, although he solicited the help of Augustus Pugin to create ideas for the clock tower. The foundation stone was laid on 4 May 1850 and the tower was completed eight years later at a cost of £150,000 ($1.5 million today).
You can read more about Big Ben on our website: http://www.greatbuildings.com/articles/ben-london
Charles Barry was an Irish architect who had come to England to work with John Nash on several projects including Buckingham Palace. When that job ended, Nash set out on his own teaming up with Edward Blore. But it wasn't long before these two men fell out over design issues relating to St James's Palace where they were both working together. So, Barry moved back home to Ireland where he continued to work on other projects such as Dublin's City Hall.
The great thing about having an architect in charge of project planning is that they can seek advice from others regarding costs and materials.
Duncan Cameron/PA-168019/Library and Archives Canada The new edifice was created in the Modern Gothic Revival style to replace the previous structure, which was destroyed by fire in 1917. (photo by James H. Marsh). The Parliament Buildings are in the foreground (Corel Professional Photos).
The New Parliament Building was constructed between 1973 and 1977 at a cost of $55 million. It is located on Wellington Street West in Ottawa, Ontario.
The New Parliament Building replaced the old one that had been destroyed by fire in 1917. The new building was designed by British architect John Andrew Stevenson with input from a committee composed of architects from across Canada. Its construction was led by Scottish architect Duncan Campbell Scott.
In addition to serving as a legislative building, the New Parliament Building also contains several offices and meeting rooms used by members of the Canadian House of Commons and Senate.
It is believed that this photo was taken outside the Old Parliament Building on Victoria Day 1967. This would make it around 20 years since the building was completed.
The New Parliament Building was officially opened on February 7, 1977 by Queen Elizabeth II. At the time of its opening, it was the most expensive parliamentary building in the world per square foot ($500,000).
Since its completion, many other high-profile buildings have been erected in downtown Ottawa.