The initial post office The Colonial Architect, James Barnet, was selected as the architect in charge of the new post office in 1862. The previous structure was dismantled in 1863, and the mail service transferred to Wynyard Square, where it remained for the following ten years in a "temporary" facility. In 1872, Congress authorized the construction of new post offices, and Barnet was again selected as the architect. He designed a new post office for Washington, D.C., which was completed in 1879. This became the first post office built specifically as a federal building.
James Barnet was born in London in 1816. He attended the Royal Academy of Arts and the Royal School of Architecture before coming to the United States in 1838. He set up practice in Washington, D.C., and over the next few years, designed several buildings for the government including the Patent Office (now the Bureau of Patents and Trademarks). In 1862, he was appointed chief architect at the Post Office Department and given charge of planning the construction of new post offices across the country. He died in Washington in 1883 at the age of 44.
The National Mall was originally intended to be used as a public park. However, this plan was changed when President Andrew Johnson asked that a road be built along its border so that he could more easily travel from the White House to his home in Nashville, Tennessee.
In 1836, the town's first post office was founded as "Brownsburgh." Brownsburg's initial church building was a wooden construction constructed about 1840. From the 1840s through the 1870s, the town nearly quadrupled in size, from 6 acres (2.4 hectares) to more than 16 acres (6.5 ha). The increase in population led to the need for a new school district, which was formed in 1872. That same year, voters approved construction of a new schoolhouse on 8 acres (3.2 ha) of land near the center of town.
The first post office in its current location was established on September 12, 1873. It is located at the southwest corner of Main Street and Michigan Road. The building is an Italianate structure with red brick walls and a white plaster exterior. It features round-arch windows and a flat roof with a copper cornice. Inside, the lobby has marble floors, wooden ceilings, and wall cabinets. There are also murals painted by local artists on display throughout the building.
Today, Brownsburg has an active community theater group that presents two productions each season. The Brown County Playhouse is located just outside of town on 7 acres (2.8 ha) of land. The park-like setting includes trees, grassy areas, and several barn buildings that are used for dressing rooms and workshops. The playhouse itself is a replica of a 1920s theatre and has 1,200 seats.
Boston A Boston tavern owned by Richard Fairbanks was designated the colonies' first post office more than a century before the Continental Congress elected Benjamin Franklin Postmaster General. In 1771, the Congress appointed Richard Fairbanks as postmaster of Boston and he began publishing a newspaper called "The Boston Gazette" to promote use of the mail service.
Massachusetts had one of the most advanced postal systems in early America. In addition to carrying letters and packages, the post office also delivered newspapers from across the colony. Within five years of its establishment, Boston had twelve weekly newspapers printed on site, many written by influential men who were not only readers but also authors of articles for publication.
These papers included publications from prominent journalists such as Benjamin Rush, William Bentley, and John Adams. They also featured articles by emerging writers such as Henry David Thoreau, who published his first piece in the Boston Daily Advertiser in 1837.
Thoreau went on to become one of the nation's leading poets and philosophers. He is best known for his book Walden, which describes his experiment with living in harmony with nature for a period of two months in 1845.
When Fairbanks died in 1771, he was succeeded by his son Thomas who continued to publish The Boston Gazette.