This was no small effort, as the capacity was expanded by about 15,000 to 25,600. The main architectural goals were to guarantee that a stadium of this size had a favorable influence on the cityscape and skyline, considering its high location in respect to the surrounding metropolis. It is also worth mentioning that Thomond Park is one of only two all-seater stadiums in Ireland (the other being Aviva Stadium). The choice of material for the new stadium was important; because it had to be strong enough to accommodate large crowds and at the same time have a delicate look on the outside.
The stadium was designed by Hennessy, O'Connor & Partners, who also did Lansdowne Road. Its construction began in April 1994 and was completed in October 1995 after just under four years. Thomond Park has become a symbol of Munster football and the entire Irish sporting scene. It is also used for international matches and major events such as the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship final. The western stand in particular is well known for its activity throughout an Irish football match.
How many people have died on Dublin's streets since the start of the Celtic Tiger period? This is the question that Arlen King aims to answer in his book "50 Streets: Death On The Streets Of Dublin During The Celtic Tiger". The author spent three years researching the story of each victim, including interviews with their family members and friends.
New Brighton Tower was constructed between 1896 and 1900 at a cost of around PS120,000. It stood 567 feet tall and was made of more than 1,000 tons of steel. Manchester's Maxwell and Tuke were the designers. The tower was one of the world's first skyscrapers and was at that time considered to be revolutionary.
The New Brighton Tower was originally going to be called "The Palace" but this name was already taken by another building so it was changed to New Brighton Tower before it opened to the public. This new skyscraper was very popular with people who could see it from where they lived because it had lights inside which came on every hour for a few minutes then went off. This is when everyone in the neighborhood would come out to watch them.
The New Brighton Tower was not only a sight to see but also a place where people went shopping. There were three floors up for sale and there was a lift which you paid 2d (1p) to go up or 6d (3p) to go down. There were also restaurants and bars on some floors. The top floor was called "The Lantern" and it had been used as a lookout point before someone invented windows!
In World War II the New Brighton Tower was used as an observation post and as a radio station called "The Beacon".
Smith planned to build a 14-story structure in Seattle during a vacation there in 1909. Burns Lyman Smith, his son, persuaded him to instead construct a far larger tower to dethrone rival city Tacoma's National Realty Building as the highest west of the Mississippi River. The building process began in 1911. Smokey Jones, a giant bronze statue placed on top of the building in 1913, helped give the structure its name.
Burns Lyman Smith returned from his vacation in Europe with ideas about steel framing and concrete construction that he brought back with him. He hired other architects to help design the building with him. The first stone was laid in April 1912 by Mayor Louis John Sullivan. The building was completed in early 1914 at a cost of $1 million ($12.5 million in 2007). It was officially opened on February 11, 1914 by President William Howard Taft.
The Smith Tower is an example of Renaissance architecture. It is named for its three tiers of windows called "towers." Each window on the third floor is also called a "tower." There are 500 of them in all. The building is office space, but it has many other uses as well. It has been home to a radio station, a hotel, and a restaurant among others.
The tower is 205 feet high and contains 3,074 square feet of floor space. That's less than one square foot per person in Washington State!
The stadium's VIP entrance. Arme Construction Company built the Azadi Stadium, which was designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill for the 7th Asian Games in 1974, according to world standards. The stadium has a capacity of 65,000 and is the largest in Asia. It is also used for other sports events such as football matches and horse races.
This stadium was built for the first time in Iran. The second Azadi Stadium was built for the Asian Cup in 1992. In this game, Iran played against Saudi Arabia and scored one goal. This match was not finished because of the violence between both teams. After this game, the Iranian government banned all kinds of football activities in the country.
In 2004, another Azadi Stadium was built for the Summer Olympics in Athens. Of course, this stadium was also used for other sports events like football matches and horse races. But it was used only for these two sports during the Olympic games.
Now this stadium is used mostly for football matches and has become one of the most famous stadiums in Iran. Before this stadium, Saipan and Shafa'i schools' football grounds were used for football matches.
Azadi Stadium is located in Tehran and its name means "Freedom".
St James' Park in 1892
|Field size||105 by 68 metres (114.8 yd × 74.4 yd)|
|Surface||Grass (Desso GrassMaster)|
It was constructed in 1926 at a period of significant population expansion and served the city as a high school and subsequently a junior high school until 1983. It was created by New Haven architect Roy Foote and is a notable example of Classical Revival architecture in the area.
The building is now occupied by the Old West Haven Public Library.
Learn more about this site's history through its individual articles:
Old West Haven High School (1926) - article on Yale's website
Old West Haven High School (former) - article on Connecticut History Online
Old West Haven Junior High School (1939) - article on Yale's website
Millions of cubic meters of concrete, earth fill, and dredged sand have been utilized since the Toronto Harbour Commissioners (THC) began work to build a site that today stretches roughly five kilometers into Lake Ontario and covers more than 250 hectares. The main feature of the park is its shoreline, which consists of wide expanses of paved walkway and several large beaches that are used for swimming, surfing, and other water activities.
The THC first acquired land for the project in 1872 and construction started four years later. It took until 1914 before the project was completed. The park has been modified through the years but it remains one of Canada's largest urban parks system.
In addition to being a major tourist attraction and place for outdoor activities, Tommy Thompson Park also serves as a major transportation hub with bus routes running throughout the day. The main branch of the Toronto Public Library is located within the park boundaries and offers visitors a chance to check out books and use their computer resources. There are also many free events held here throughout the year such as movies in the park, live music performances, and more.
As far as accommodation is concerned, there are a number of different options within walking distance of the park. You can find hotels, guesthouses, and campsites everywhere you look in downtown Toronto.